Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siamese Losing Hair

Siamese Losing Hair

I just noticed that Olivia has a 3 inch x 1 inch patch of missing hair on her front inside leg. I've never seen this before so I am thinking this happened recently. Has this ever happened to your cat? Should I watch this for a couple of days or should I call the vet ASAP? She is acting her normal self.

Take a close look at it - is the skin red, or swollen looking? Has she been licking obsessively? Any discoloration?
    I've Been Frosted

Sometimes cats over groom themselves and it can typically be caused by allergies or stress. Saw a few cases like this (hair loss on the inside of the rear legs) due to over-grooming at my previous clinic. Has there been any recent changes in your household? Have you been opening your windows with warmer weather?

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Sometimes cats over groom themselves and it can typically be caused by allergies or stress. Saw a few cases like this (hair loss on the inside of the rear legs) due to over-grooming at my previous clinic. Has there been any recent changes in your household? Have you been opening your windows with warmer weather?
    Trust me, we have not had weather warm enough to open windows in this neck of the woods! And she's further North than me!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Trust me, we have not had weather warm enough to open windows in this neck of the woods! And she's further North than me!
    Well we're having freakishly warm 70+ degree weather (should normally be in the 20s...) and I have my windows open so wasn't sure.

facebook

My cat Pearl who is a Lynx Point Siamese mix will also tend to lose her fur on her lower part of her tummy. When she was in last year for her annual exam, I pointed this out to my vet. She said she's seen much worse so she wasn't too concerned about it. I notice that it comes and goes. I haven't seen her overgrooming but I'm sure that this is what she is doing. She doesn't scratch and she doesn't have red spots like an allergy or anything like that. She is stressed out because she doesn't get along well with most of my other cats so she basically lives in my bedroom/bathroom area. Lately she's even been fighting with Ziggy and Sky which are the only two cats that she even tolerates.

I would just watch your cat. It may also be due overgrooming caused by stress. Has anything changed for her lately?

Thanks

Sorry I didnt reply sooner. Sick. In fact because Ive been home from work all week I've been able to watch her. She seems her normal self. It is red and drying up. She ate supper a couple of hours ago and now she is sleeping which is a little odd. But it could be because she was up most of the day. I have not seen her lick it and she has let me touch it (for a second). I will continue to watch her. I hope she'll be okay. I'm sick and now she's got this issue. We're a sad household. As for the weather we were supposed to get into the 50's and we barely hit 37. Grrrrrr. Thank you again. I will keep you posted.

Noticed today...

Noticed today that she is licking it and it seems to be getting worse. I made an appointment tomorrow night. Someone on Facebook mentioned it possibly being a "hot spot". Hopefully she'll be okay.

How did the appointment go??

facebook

Appt

The Vet gave her an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. She said that Olivia is OCD. I have to watch the spot. If it doesn't get better or if she continues to lick it she may need "the cone of shame".

Awwwww... for her sake (AND yours!) I hope this does the trick. Keeping fingers crossed for you both!

facebook

She could have an allergy to fleas. Or, it could be her diet. You need to get her to a vet. He'll give her a cortisone shot to stop the itching.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Blog Entries
    I had a femal cat named Fred, adopted. We loved her very much. She had the weirdest habit, unfortunately . She was always indoors, threre were no fleas. She had scabs on her belly, well we could not figure out why. Turns out... she was chewing her nipples off. We have no clue why. She would only do it when we were asleep. Once we finally figured it out she died one year later. She was very well fed, just a strange girl.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I should elaberat a wee bit on Freddy. She was a large cat and we adopted her when she was 4 yrs. old. She lived with a larger, agressive cat and a lovely older woman. I think she may have suffered from PTSD cuz she was bullied by the larger pussycat. She flew solo, we had no other cats whilst she was with us. She never really relaxed in those 5 yrs. LIKE EVER. Hey, we did our level best Can't win if ya don't try

Much Better

Olivia's leg is much better. The hair is growing back. I just have to watch it and make sure she leaves it alone. Thanks everybody!