Thread: Sleepy when driving???

Hybrid View

Sleepy when driving???

I just got back from a road trip and just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have always done the driving or at least the last ten years because my husband gets sleepy when he drives, he is 9 years older than me. The last few road trips now I get sleepy even when I have enough sleep. I drank coffee, etc. This is really upsetting because I love road trips but don't want to be a danger. I remember a few years ago reading that people being sleepy is more dangerous than drunk drivers or just as many accidents etc. Is this a 50+ issue? Maybe I am more tired since I help so much with the twins I don't know but it sucks I plan on taking my granddaughters all kinds of places but not if its dangerous.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I used to attend my college homecoming every year, stay until late in the evening and drive home (about 70 miles, mostly on the highway). There were a few years when I would get home and realize I had no recollection of driving on the highway - like, how did I get home?! I was a lot younger then and not afraid to drive home late at night, and I never drank before I made the trip home. Now I either come back earlier in the evening or stay the night and come home in the morning.

When I worked midnights, there were a lot of evenings when I would get in the car at 10 PM to go to work, start the car and the radio would come on at a super-high volume from my trip home in the morning. I don't miss those mornings!

Can you take a break during your trips with your granddaughters? Couple of hours, and then you stop for even a short break? Or take turns driving, maybe? Hope you figure it out so you can enjoy trips with your grandchildren.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I just got back from a road trip and just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have always done the driving or at least the last ten years because my husband gets sleepy when he drives, he is 9 years older than me. The last few road trips now I get sleepy even when I have enough sleep. I drank coffee, etc. This is really upsetting because I love road trips but don't want to be a danger. I remember a few years ago reading that people being sleepy is more dangerous than drunk drivers or just as many accidents etc. Is this a 50+ issue? Maybe I am more tired since I help so much with the twins I don't know but it sucks I plan on taking my granddaughters all kinds of places but not if its dangerous.
    Have you had a check-up lately? Might be something to ask about, as fatigue when stationary (like sitting to drive for long periods of time) may be an indicator of something!
    I've Been Frosted

A sleep test might be in order. Ask your doctor.

I used to drive a lot as a musician. The coffee/cola jolt stopped working after a few years -I would "crash". What worked better for me is staying hydrated - lots of water - and food with few carbs. Protein or nuts as a snack.

Hope you get an answer soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Is it that you're truly tired and need to rest, or are you just really relaxed and you body is interpenetrating relaxed as sleepy? I often feel really relaxed when I drive, to the point I feel sleepy. I try to listen to upbeat music, something I can sing along to. We often listen to audio books too. If it's a longer drive I like to munch on granola or something similar. Those things help keep me alert.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Well Jasmine went home to her mom and I slept 11 hours I think I was just worn out but when I was younger i could handle it better.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Perhaps it's just that you find driving more boring than you used to, or the routes have been driven so many times that you could almost drive them with your eyes closed. Boredom can definitely lull you into a sleepy state.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~