Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious ....

Just curious ....

As you all know, we have had these websites online since 1997 and 1998 - so my email address is likely on every spam list out there. I get thousands of pieces of spam every day, my email filters out 99% of them but still, some get through that leave me amused.

Do you get spam offering you a degree you already have? I get "Learn Graphic Design" ads often. Like duh, had that degree for 25+ years and been working in the field since then ....

And do you get offers for brides that match your own ethnicity? I often wonder if my nephew's Russian-born wife gets "Russian bride for you" offers ....
    I've Been Frosted

Ever since I got my new computer back in May and changed my email I rarely get any email, junk or otherwise!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

That's good, for you, anyway!

I just got another that makes me wonder - Does Dr. Oz get emails claiming to contain "Dr. Oz diet breakthrough"?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    The junk is never ending, tho it actually has slacked off a little from what I used to get.

Let's see ---- I can get a PhD on line, then of course there are the weight loss ads (if I lose weight I really will just blow away), hair restoration ads (I just got a haircut because I had too much), have my choice of brides from every country imaginable (I don't do women ), join dating services with whites, blacks, Christians, Jews, gays, lesbians, and over 50, plus more), flirt online (pics of naked girls attached with parts blacked out - until you pay of course), get help filing for Social Security disability, join a class action lawsuit for any number of issues, get credit cards -- and on and on.

I'm seeing a lot less of the foreign money scams - maybe they finally figured I don't have any to scam - so why waste their time??? I did get another yesterday from Christy Walton of the Walton Empire, wanting to give me a huge chunk of money. But I kinda miss the comical ones from the FBI - if I don't comply with the Nigerians and send them the money/info they need to release my fund, then the FBI has a warrant for my arrest, my mugg shot will be on all the local t.v. channels, bringing shame to my family, my bank accounts and properties will be confiscated, and I will go to prison for the rest of my life. This one that I received many times, was by far, the most hilarious!!!! Of course they all come addressed to me with my real name too - "undisclosed recipients".

Thankfully 99+% goes directly to my spam folder and doesn't get sent to my in box. Google does a good job in that department!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-27-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I get them too, just about everyone mentioned above.. I find that sometimes I get tons of them for awhile and then suddenly, I hardly get any.. That puzzels me..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I seem to have a good junk filter. They come in, but automatically go to the junk file, so I never really see them.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I get a lot of offers for Canadian pharmacy purchases and almost as many for ways to enhance my "bedroom experience". As an RN I can also earn my BSN online in eighteen months (sorry, already done the old-fashioned way). Gmail picks up most of the stuff that's clearly spam. I just delete delete delete.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I too get a lot from Canadian pharmacies, but that's probably because I do use a legit Canadian pharmacy at times, and the world of spies picks up on that. Male enhancement - yup - they tell me I can be the man I used to be. HELLO????? - last time I checked................
    Yes - gmail is good at sending them to the spam file instead of the inbox, but every once in a while I read a couple before I delete the whole page. I've gotten many a good laugh from some of them!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I am assured I can "find a girlfriend" and "enlarge my manhood". Ummmm .... the only problem is that I AM a girl and I don't HAVE a "manhood"!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Oh, yes and another new trend - ads for candles of kinds .... do they not realize that if I am reading their email, that must mean I have electricity, and therefore no need of candles? As an asthmatic, I am not burning anything inside unnecessarily! Even smokeless candles contribute stuff to the air ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    The junk is never ending, tho it actually has slacked off a little from what I used to get.

Let's see ---- I can get a PhD on line, then of course there are the weight loss ads (if I lose weight I really will just blow away), hair restoration ads (I just got a haircut because I had too much), have my choice of brides from every country imaginable (I don't do women ), join dating services with whites, blacks, Christians, Jews, gays, lesbians, and over 50, plus more), flirt online (pics of naked girls attached with parts blacked out - until you pay of course), get help filing for Social Security disability, join a class action lawsuit for any number of issues, get credit cards -- and on and on.

I'm seeing a lot less of the foreign money scams - maybe they finally figured I don't have any to scam - so why waste their time??? I did get another yesterday from Christy Walton of the Walton Empire, wanting to give me a huge chunk of money. But I kinda miss the comical ones from the FBI - if I don't comply with the Nigerians and send them the money/info they need to release my fund, then the FBI has a warrant for my arrest, my mugg shot will be on all the local t.v. channels, bringing shame to my family, my bank accounts and properties will be confiscated, and I will go to prison for the rest of my life. This one that I received many times, was by far, the most hilarious!!!! Of course they all come addressed to me with my real name too - "undisclosed recipients".

Thankfully 99+% goes directly to my spam folder and doesn't get sent to my in box. Google does a good job in that department!
    I print out the pics of the women and draw in the private parts.

That way I only pay for the ink.

----------------
    I think the Nigerians figured out that there are people in America are in worse shape than they are?

They have the interweb, for pete's sake!

----------------

Back in the mid eighties I was on the couch in my apt and a notorious serial killer was finally ID'ed.

Imagine my surprise when the newscaster mentions my name....The newspaper the next day prints out his aliases and sure enough, my name made it to the front page!

Didn't we have a thread like this recently? Because I just "unsubscribe" and they all go away. I have only 1 spam I can not get rid of, and it does not have an unsubscribe option. It is for a xxx site and I have no clue why I get it!

I think we did this recently as a bunch of folks said not to 'unsubscribe' as it just puts you on more lists. This has NOT been my experience. I just get that one spam message, almost daily. Other than that, all have stopped!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Didn't we have a thread like this recently? Because I just "unsubscribe" and they all go away. I have only 1 spam I can not get rid of, and it does not have an unsubscribe option. It is for a xxx site and I have no clue why I get it!

I think we did this recently as a bunch of folks said not to 'unsubscribe' as it just puts you on more lists. This has NOT been my experience. I just get that one spam message, almost daily. Other than that, all have stopped!

I started this new thread as now I am getting spam that mentions certain celebrities by name - like Dr. Oz - and a re-occurrence of Russian bride spams.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I don't "unsubscribe" because on most you have to type in your authentic email name, and I figure that just puts me out there even more, and I'll get bombarded with a ton more junk. It's just as easy (for me anyway) to delete the whole file everyday with just one click. And I am seeing less than I used to get - most of what I'm receiving is ads, and not money scams anyway.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-29-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Blog Entries

Spam

i have had my several emails accounts, for going on 10 years now. i average 1 or 2 spam mails a week.. when it starts coming they come in groups of several..i have no spam filters other than the fact that i dont always give it out just because they ask for it...i never post in public news groups.like yahoo or google groups(Here at cat of the dayits ok) and i have a throw away account i can change a little bit which i have done for years.. prior to that i was getting 300-500 spam everyday most of it ugly. so i changed the email and that got rid of it back in 2002.. it just been cautious ever since.. pat
    i have been frosted by freedom

http://www.issop.com/cats/