Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please keep your fingers crossed that I won't lose my home!

Please keep your fingers crossed that I won't lose my home!

As you may know, I'm living on disability pension for a while now, and since that pension isn't much (below the poverty line), I have now to apply for additional welfare; more precisely: basic security. This is what a feared for a long time, as the social welfare department has now the utter control of everything going on in my life. What fears me most is that my apartment is too big. To receive the social benefits, a single person is entitled to live in a place not bigger than 46 square metres, and mine has 68. On the other hand, I don't pay much rent here (the rent for most smaller apartments is even higher), which is why it depends on my case worker whether I can stay here or not, it's up to him to decide how to interpret the laws. I'm completely in that person's hand!

Suffering - among other things - from a severe anxienty disorder corcerning everything existencial (which I developed some years ago when my health started going downhill and when I realized that the day will come that I'm no longer be able to work for a living), this situation is more than frightening. In fact, I'm almost paralized with fear and I'm extremely nervous. I neither have the physical nor the mental strength to move, let alone the money. Here in this apartment, I'm in the lucky position that friends of mine live in the apartment right below, and they help me with the things I'm no longer able to do, like carrying heavy things such as cat litter, or doing the snow shovelling for me. I wouldn't have this help anywhere else, and I would have to pay someone to do this.

My doctor, who is very supportive, has already said she would write a medical certificate for me, saying I'm not able to move for various health reasons. But of course the case manager has the last word in this, so I'm more than nervous these days. Some peace and steadiness in my life is what I need more than anything else!

Oh, and please don't say I should try to make extra money by selling pictures or doing photo shoots. Once I'm in the social welfare department's hands, I won't be allowed to keep any extra money I make. I'm officially poor now, and for the rest of my life, there's no way out. It's hopeless. But I really hope I won't lose my home!

Positive vibes coming your way.

I, too, fear having my current living situation change, as I too, don't pay much each month for a three bedroom flat. I try to thinking positively, and keep on, keeping on. Things change all the time. I know that if my monthly payment goes up, I can get a roommate. I would dread that, but it is a possibility, should my landlord sell the place or raise the payment tooooo high for me to pay. I live on a fixed income too. Many people, retired or not well, are in the same boat.

You do have friends and family as a support system. Things always have a way of working out. Chin up. So far, so good. Enjoy the good but always be prepared for circumstances to change. ENJOY your wonderful apartment and pets and camera. Positive thinking brings on more positive thinking!

Maybe you could get creative when measuring the footage/size and leave out a hallway etc. !!!!

I bet the expense is what the government worries about, not the size.

I'm so sorry to hear what you are facing, that is bound to make you nervous. It's ridiculous if they won't let you keep your flat - 68 m2 isn't that big, and they have to consider the cost of moving, plus you probably can't find a cheaper flat, anyway.

Many in Denmark are in the same situation and people are protesting, of course. The law has been changed, so that the period you can be on Union money is half now and they have doubled the time you have to work to be insured again. The wages are dumped, while the prices on food go up, and like in Germany, I bet many will have to apply for benefit to survive, because they take any job they can get, however low the wage is. All this while Ministers put their wages up and banks get one package after the other! Oh, and have you heard the latest? Now, the biggest bank has started charging for having an account with them. As if we didn't pay enough fees already!

I hope your doctor will help you the best he can. Good luck!

Kirsten, like here, there probably are FB groups who try to get some influence on what politicians do, and they are very supportive of each other. You should join one!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Kirsten, this does sound very stressful, even for a person without your anxiety issues.

On the plus side, just here in this post you have listed many reasons why is makes sense for you to stay where you are. These are things you will need to convey to your case manager. Maybe you can start by making it into a list, each item separate. Or maybe your style is more as a paragraph. Either way, spell it all out clearly, as you have done here, and have it ready to present to the case manager when the time comes. You certainly have put thought into this already, to have it set out as you did for us, here.

Fingers and paws crossed for you here in RI and sending prayers that you get to stay put.

So sorry this is happening to you Kirsten. I don't have an answer to your problem but start making a list of the reasons that you can't move, something you can show your doctor then ask him to write that letter. Would they allow for you to divide up a small space and fix it to look like it's a workplace for your art? Keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out well for you.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

All fingers and paw pads are crossed for you, Kirsten. You have very good reasons to stay where you are. Prayers that this will work out for you.

And big {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you for your support and advice!

sasvermont, I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar situation, and I sure hope it will all work out for you. I would also be dreading the thought of having a roommate; I can't stand anyone around me when I'm not feeling well, and my privacy is extremely important to me to keep my stress level down. Besides, having someone moving in with me wouldn't even help because that would reduce my social welfare. As for declaring the size of my apartment: there's no other way but telling them the real size, they will also get a copy of my rental contract.

Randi, sounds bad what's going on in Denmark now, sounds similar to what happened in Germany about 10 years ago when these horrible Hartz IV-laws were released. There were some protests in the beginning, but they soon began to fade, and now, people living on welfare are considered to be the parasites of the country - even though more and more workers need additional welfare because they are paid so badly in their jobs. It's a terrible situation, and the worst thing is that it was the Social Democrate Party that released these laws; I felt so betrayed! And when the Christian Democrates began to the rule the country again in 2005, they gladly continued with that. So who's still left to vote for? The left wing party? There are not so many options left; makes you feel utterly powerless!

Sandie, yes, it's true, it would probably stressful for everyone, but of course this is taking my anxiety to new levels! I envy my girls right now who live their little kitty lives and know nothing of these fears. Well, yes, I was already thinking about articulating my fears and worries when I have the meeting at the social welfare department on Monday, and letting them know what my doctor has said. I hope I will have a case manager who is understanding!

Asiel, declaring a part of my flat as a workplace would mean I would have to run a business, and they would suspect I have some income I'm not declaring which would mean nothing but trouble.

Pat, thank you very much!!

Kirsten I am so sorry you are going through this. I know too well the terror you are having. I went through something similar 7 years ago when the house I was renting got condemed. I could not afford to rent or buy a home. I am on disability and live below our poverty level too. If my sweet brother had not bought this home for me, I'd be homeless.

Prayers on the way that your case manager gives the ok for you to stay where you are!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You will be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

oh kirsten hon i am really upset to hear you are having more things to worry about, you have had such a rough time, i also know what it is like to be unwell, but i am lucky i have a husband to support me, but i know when welfare is involved you are completely in their hands.

I sincerely hope you can stay where you are, it would be making an already difficult situation even harder, my heart goes out to you, i also understand the privacy thing, i am exactly the same and believe me you are not alone on that one.

'I hope and pray that you will get to stay where you are, you are in my thoughts, gentle hugs.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

HUGS Kirsten. I pray and believe all will go well for you. The caseworker surely can 'read' people by now, and s/he will know you are honest.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Kirsten, I also know what you're going through. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    All fingers and paw pads are crossed for you, Kirsten. You have very good reasons to stay where you are. Prayers that this will work out for you.

And big {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    From here, too. I remember you mentioned that some work was just done in your building so I do hope you are able to stay where you are.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

We mentioned you today in church, and after the service, I told one pastor that you also are concerned for Luna and Lily - and didn't even have to tell him they are cats - he and his wife are owned by 4 cats who all disappear when visitors arrive!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    We mentioned you today in church, and after the service, I told one pastor that you also are concerned for Luna and Lily - and didn't even have to tell him they are cats - he and his wife are owned by 4 cats who all disappear when visitors arrive!
    Thank you very much for doing this, Karen! Your pastor sounds like a wonderful man - he must be, if he's sharing his life with 4 cats!

Carole, thank you very much for your kind words, means a lot!

Thank you so much for your support, Candace and moosmom!

cassiesmom, work is all done now, and I hope I will still have the chance to enjoy my apartment!

Anyway, went to the social welfare department today to submit my application. Turned out that the woman who's going to be my case manager is on holiday, and the young lady who talked to me didn't say much. In fact, she was really bitchy at first. We went through the papers as she wanted to make sure I'd filled in the form properly, which i did, and she mentioned that my rent is still below the limit. I really really hope they'll let me get away with that! She also said that it will take about 2 weeks until I hear from them, so now all I can do is waiting... it's unnerving!