Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How cold is it where you are?

I'm back home in the Bay Area and it is currently 46 at 9:39am. Brrr, I want to go back to Southern California! I know, 46 is nothing compared to what a lot of you are dealing with. But it's cold for this California girl!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Good grief Tamara. All the trouble you have to go thru protecting yourself, your vehicles, etc - seems like a whole lot of work - and not easy work at that. Now I know why you take so many warm climate vacations.

Do the pups have any heat source? I know they thrive in the cold, but when is it too cold even for them?
    It's a ridiculous amount of work! I get to haul wood when I get home from work tonight! Oh, the fun! This super cold snap is supposed to break in a few days. -15C will feel balmy!

The dogs all have insulated dog house stuffed full of straw. They are quite toasty warm inside. Only four of the dogs sleep outside. Sundin & Reggae because the house terrifies them both! They could come in; they are both fine in the house, but they chose to stay outside. Raven has access to the shop. She can sleep inside there if she wants, but she has such a thick coat that after a couple hours she's over heating. Chase is allowed inside under direct supervision only as he is not cat safe. He can sleep in the shop if he wants to, but usually he curls up in a dog house. Pretty much everyone else sleeps inside every night, even in the summer!

I have two 16 year old dogs who are rarely outside in the winter at all. Hobo goes out if it's sunny, but Pingo rarely leaves the house! She pees and comes right back in. The ancient ones can basically do whatever they want! Tehya spent yesterday trying to get someone to play with her! She is impervious to cold!
    Last edited by Glacier; 01-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Tamara - I wouldn't survive a week living there, but I suppose it's all what you're used to.

Snow is all gone here except for a few patches in shady areas. That will be gone today tho, with temps getting into the 50's - and tomorrow in the 60's with heavy rain and potential for severe thunderstorms. Then back in the 30's by the end of the week. Crazy weather!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    It's a ridiculous amount of work! I get to haul wood when I get home from work tonight! Oh, the fun! This super cold snap is supposed to break in a few days. -15C will feel balmy!

The dogs all have insulated dog house stuffed full of straw. They are quite toasty warm inside. Only four of the dogs sleep outside. Sundin & Reggae because the house terrifies them both! They could come in; they are both fine in the house, but they chose to stay outside. Raven has access to the shop. She can sleep inside there if she wants, but she has such a thick coat that after a couple hours she's over heating. Chase is allowed inside under direct supervision only as he is not cat safe. He can sleep in the shop if he wants to, but usually he curls up in a dog house. Pretty much everyone else sleeps inside every night, even in the summer!

I have two 16 year old dogs who are rarely outside in the winter at all. Hobo goes out if it's sunny, but Pingo rarely leaves the house! She pees and comes right back in. The ancient ones can basically do whatever they want! Tehya spent yesterday trying to get someone to play with her! She is impervious to cold!
    My Dad told me he used to dream of living in the Yukon, he visited there a lot, but that was in the summer! Life there seems like a TON of work. Any pups in the bed? That must be fun

LOL, Teyha, I hope she was successful in finding someone. I'd fly there to play with her!

Tamara and Lisa, you both have my utmost admiration and respect for functioning in that kind of cold!

And I do have to say.. better you than me! I find as cold as it gets here massively unpleasant.. and it's nothing compared to what you both live with for long parts of the year. (What a wimp I am.. )

God bless!

Pat
    (It's foggy and rainy and going to somewhere in the 50s [that's a fluke] today.. In a couple of days, back to winter.)
    Last edited by phesina; 01-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It is currently 6.6c/ 43f here . It is starting to feel like autumn .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

It's 60 here right now... . We had an ice storm on Friday, and now it's 60 the following Tuesday. Tennessee is very bipolar with its weather.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Currently in Calgary we have beautiful blue sky but its FREEZING!!!!! The temperature is -24oC or -11.2oF. The windchill is -35oC or -31oF.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    My Dad told me he used to dream of living in the Yukon, he visited there a lot, but that was in the summer! Life there seems like a TON of work. Any pups in the bed? That must be fun

LOL, Teyha, I hope she was successful in finding someone. I'd fly there to play with her!
    Lots of people come up here in the summer, think they want to live here and then move back south after one winter! There are good deals to be had at spring moving sales! Course you also meet lots of people who came up for a summer job 30 years ago and never left again! Last summer was the coldest, wettest year on record here. If our summers stay like that, I'll be leaving for good! I do enjoy the 24 hours of light but not when it's raining all the time! I would have an even harder time living somewhere with grey skies and rain all the time!

Chum & Tehya sleep on the bed. When Stuart isn't home, they take over his side. They are both quite disgusted when he does come home! When he's home they curl up by my feet. He'll push them off; they know I won't!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Are you north of the Arctic Circle, Tamara?

Where are you originally from, and how long have you been up there?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Are you north of the Arctic Circle, Tamara?

Where are you originally from, and how long have you been up there?
    No, I'm south of the Arctic Circle, although I could drive there! It does go through the Yukon. The Circle is the 66th parallel; I live at about the 61st; sub-arctic climate zone and below the tree line! There are no trees up at the Circle!

I grew up in Saskatchewan, moved all over Alberta & Saskatchewan for a few years, met Stuart in Calgary. We moved up here in January 2000.
    --John Irving

It's been in the 50's here for the past few days as the high but tomorrow it's supposed to be 65 as the high and on Friday it's supposed to be 69 as the high and only get down to about 45 for the low. I know I'm very spoiled living in CA.

It's a weird day temperature wise here in Butler. Currently it's 64F (in january yet!) with rain and thunderstorms on tap for most of the day,and this evening the temp will plunge down to (Brrrr!) 29F with snow showers coming. A roller coaster winter for sure!!

Now it's 55, rainy, and we're on a tornado watch. Ugh.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Today, today is melting day
    The snow has sadly gone away
    The ground still frozen, so water stands
    Mud awaits to any who dare tread
    Today, today is melting day
    All the snow, bit by bit
    Has gone away.
    I've Been Frosted