Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How cold is it where you are?

Currently 27f (-3C). Weather forecast is for rain starting tomorrow afternoon changing to snow overnight. I thought about going to the car wash since it's above freezing, but not if it's going to be sloppy again the next few days. Yesterday we had rain that changed to freezing rain and then to snow, that was messy.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Here, I am about to go out and reshovel, as the snow seems to be mostly over and the wind has died down, so I checked the temps - it is currently 13°F (-11C) with a wind chill of -3°F(-19C). So I will try wearing mittens over my gloves, and see how long I last!
    I've Been Frosted

Didn't end up going out then, as it turns put the snow was not done, and we are supposed to get another 1-3 inches by dawn, so might as well wait! And the added bonus is that the snow that has drifted in front of the door will block the usual draft, so i might as well not open that door and spoil that part for tonight!
    I've Been Frosted

Last night before I went to bed it was -2F° (-19° C), so today's 19°F seems downright balmy! Even the birds are more relaxed about eating today, so that's a good sign.
    I've Been Frosted

Was -4*F before I went to bed last night! Warming up some this week.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh, that's funny, Karen...

This has stood out in my mind for years, a radio weather comment on a winter's day not long after I'd come back to Michigan. The day after a stretch of very cold days, the announcer said "It's a balmy 19 out today!"
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Last night before I went to bed it was -2F° (-19° C), so today's 19°F seems downright balmy! Even the birds are more relaxed about eating today, so that's a good sign.
    Oh, that's funny. I have the same thoughts and have said the same thing down here in SC. After days in the 30s and nights in the low 20s, 40-something feels balmy, downright balmy. I just wear a heavy sweater.

I can't imagine -2F temperatures.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It's all relative! A little snow today, more tonight, then more tomorrow night into Monday, so today's 26°F didn't look as warm as it might have otherwise! So when I went outside I put mittens on, but once I was out there, I realized there was no need for them whatsoever!
    I've Been Frosted

Feb 8 2015
    I'm just shaking my head reading these comments about SNOW and how cold your temps are or have been--amazing! I'm in central North Carolina and we have yet to have a real snow this season, just some flurries this winter. So far it has been a very mild winter here; we usually have at least one snow of 4"-6"inches-not feet (don't laugh) and/OR some bad sleets/freezing rain. I can't help but wonder if Feb & March are going to be the "real winter". I've had robins in the yard for two weeks and daffodils are poking their green tops up. I'm afraid the birds & flowers etc are going to think spring is here and then boom the cold temps and snow comes.

I hope all of you with lots of snow or rain will be ok.

Today it was an unseasonably warm 72 and broke a record set in 1925. The next 10 days are for 50's & 40's & back to 50's with some teens at night.

Yeah, pour weather lately has been reminding me of the old Christmas carol, "In the bleak midwinter" that includes the phrase, "Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow ..."
    I've Been Frosted

Just got back inside, and feeling has returned to my fingers. I cleaned off the car for Paul to run an errand, and only a couple inches of snow had fallen, but it is bitter cold out there. It is amusing that the redacted low for tonight is 13°F, but by the time I cam back in, the temperature had dropped another degree to 10°F (-12°C), with a wind chill of -5°F(-21C). You'd think they'd have someone update the forecast to at least account for the fact that the temperature is already below the lowest low they predicted!

It's all powder now, as it is so cold, so when the wind gusts hit, everything drifts again. Of course the taller-than-me snowbanks are frozen pretty solid, so at least they are not moving!
    I've Been Frosted

It's actually normal winter right now. 30s in the evening and night, occasional drops to the 20s, with high 40s and 50s in the day. It is windy though.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It has been snowing all day here - since yesterday afternoon, actually, and is now about 14°F (-10°C) which is warmer than yesterday! The birds are very busy with the seed I put out!

From earlier today:

Monday mourning doves
    Shelter from the storm on our
    Dormant bicycles

The hush of snowfall
    Is disturbed when I open
    My blinds, let light in

Apologizing
    I set out generous plates
    Bird seed offering

Now they feast again
    I sip my cooling tea, peace
    On a stormy day
    I've Been Frosted

Cold?? What's that? Sometimes it's annoying living in California. We were recently hit with a "storm". The definition of storm here on the West Coast is rain.
    We had some rain and actually a little wind last night. Ok, the wind was a problem for me (and Zeplyn). But nothing like what others are dealing with around the world.

Oh, and btw the temps are in the 60s! I do feel sorry for my PT family that is being hit hard with horrible weather. You are welcome to come out and visit me!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Cold?? What's that? Sometimes it's annoying living in California. We were recently hit with a "storm". The definition of storm here on the West Coast is rain.
    We had some rain and actually a little wind last night. Ok, the wind was a problem for me (and Zeplyn). But nothing like what others are dealing with around the world.

Oh, and btw the temps are in the 60s! I do feel sorry for my PT family that is being hit hard with horrible weather. You are welcome to come out and visit me!!
    Paul would move there in a heartbeat if things were different! Some winters - it has not come up yet this year, he looks at me, and says, "Florida or Southern California?"
    I've Been Frosted