Thread: An oxymoron?????

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

An oxymoron?????

I think this qualifies as an oxymoron. If not - it should!

We all know that water dries out our skin, and in an effort to combat this dryness and keep our skin from looking like that of a lizard's, we slather on the hand and body lotions and creams, in an attempt to look and feel soft and supple. However - the first ingredient listed in these wonderful products, is water (aqua, eau), and being first on the list, that makes it the main ingredient.

Am I the only one that sees a contradiction here................

Oh - and a Happy Spring to all ----- if it ever comes to stay and not revert back to Winter at least once each week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sorry, Ellie.

The point is to keep the water in the outer layer of the skin, not have it evaporate and dry the skin.

Lotion is oil droplets in water. High water content. Cream is water droplets in oil. Low water content, high oil content. Which you use depends on the season, and the condition of your skin. In summer, lotions are best; in winter creams are best.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Sorry, Ellie.

The point is to keep the water in the outer layer of the skin, not have it evaporate and dry the skin.

Lotion is oil droplets in water. High water content. Cream is water droplets in oil. Low water content, high oil content. Which you use depends on the season, and the condition of your skin. In summer, lotions are best; in winter creams are best.

LOL -I was being a smart-arse as usual. It is kinda contradictory when you think of it without really knowing the science behind it tho. Just my mind in overdrive and seeing humor in simple explanations...................... You know that I like to pull chains - especially when I get bored. This winter has taken it's toll in more ways than one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm with you on that one Pom-- but what Freedom explained is right. I always did find it silly the way water is always the first ingredient in ay cream or lotion. It always made me wonder how much we were paying for that water and how much of the other ingredients were in creams and lotions. I remember meeting a woman once and she looked like a teen, knew she was in her 60's. I asked what she put on her face and she told me Vaseline or baby oil, whatever she had handy--- then she swore that lard had all the lotions and creams beat by a mile
    I decided I could do without lard seared on my skin.... whale blubber might work though

I thought Spring was finally here but the last 2 days it's been pouring and today we had wet snow mixed in with the rain... and a bone chilling wind so keeping the winter jacket for a while yet.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----