Thread: Don't Won't Play??

Question Don't Won't Play??

Hi, I have a chihuahua and I've tried to coax her into playing and she won't do it. I've bought toy after toy and so far nothing gets her interest. She has 1 long flat fox that she likes once in a great while, she'll tug on it for a few minutes and play, but most of the time if I try to entice her into it she just looks at me like I'm stupid. Same with her tug rope. Doesn't seem to be a real big fan of the squeaker toys. Tried kong treat toy, she won't go for that at all. She doesn't play with balls again except once in a real great while she'll roll it around for a few moments and she's done.

I'm worried she's not getting enough mental stimulation that she would normally get through play or that she's depressed or something. I've even tried getting on the floor and adopting the "play" stance just to get her to play with me and she'll have none of it. She's all for being all over me for petting and she loves to stay right with me no matter where I am, but she will not play with me. The only kind of play she's given so far is that when she gets up in the morning, she likes to prance all over me and run up and down me in excitement that it's morning time. And then she'll let me set her out of the room into the other room while I hide a few treats around the first room and then let her in. She runs around and searches them out and for her this is I guess a game of hide and seek with food reward.

I want to play with her but she's so tiny and she apparently isn't interested in anything I've found so far. When I take her to the park I can't get her to play either, she just runs around barking at other dogs. I was thinking of buying her some kind of puzzle game or the bacon flavored bubble flower cause she loves bacon flavored treats, something more expensive than 10$ squeakers, but they're expensive and if she won't play with them then what? I would really appreciate some recommendations on toys that might entice playtime out of stubborn dogs that refuse to play.

How old is she? Is she a dog you have had since puppyhood, or did you get her as an adult?

First of all, relax - not every dog will be playful. Your morning routine sounds like fun, and like some mental as well as physical stimulation. Does she get regular walks? She may be perfectly fine! Have you done any obedience training with her, or classes/ Does she seem bored?

On the other end of the scale, size-wise, we had a Great Dane who never "got" fetch, or even "catch" - we gave up, before we got arrested for dog abuse because we'd toss bits of hot dog at her. They'd just bounce off, and we'd have to show her where it landed on the floor. We gave up, and Gracie was perfectly fine with every learning the games we thought she'd enjoy!
    I've Been Frosted

My 3.5 year old hound mix doesn't play. Not with toys, anyhow. He will chase us, and jump up on us, but he won't play with any toy or ball. He plays with other dogs, he will wrestle with us in the bed, but no toys.

In comparison, my sister's 9 year old chocolate lab? That boy plays all the time, he has something in his mouth 99% of the time, unless he is asleep.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Not every dog likes toys, and my RB Sparky was a classic example. He took little interest in them and might occasionally play with one, but it just wasn't his way. He was more of a cuddler/love-bug type - a Mommy's Boy, and was much happier doing things with people rather than with objects. It sounds like your little dog is the same way, and as long as she's happy and healthy, then I wouldn't worry about it. It appears that she is getting in her share of what she considers fun, and doesn't sound at all depressed, so I would just enjoy her for the way she chooses to be.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Not every dog likes to play with or is even remotely interested in toys. My Aussie is more interested in playing with us or other dogs, but he has never played with a toy in his life. Nothing is wrong with your pet. Maybe he wants to interact with you

facebook

Oberon never cared much for toys, either. He's a people dog, and only a very small set of specific toys took his attention. All he ever really wanted to do was interact with people. He would entertain himself by stealing from people - a sock or a slipper, or pulling my hat off. But toys just never took his fancy. 13, on the other hand, loves toys and can keep himself amused endlessly playing catch with himself, throwing a toy and then running after it.