Thread: quirky eating habit

quirky eating habit

Hi, I have 2 dogs, Suki who is a Maltese Bichon age 3, and Keko who is a Beagle/Podenco mix, age 6.

When Suki eats, she eats part of the food in her bowl, and spreads part in a "halo" around her bowl, by taking it out with her mouth and delicately placing it on the floor. Then she'll go off and come back later and repeat.

Its as if she were "leaving the best bits till last", but there are no "best bits"...its all the same dry food.

Keko knows that he must not eat food left in Suki's bowl, but he considers (and rightly so) that the floor is "neutral territory" and will eat what she has spread around.

I can't stop a dog from eating what's on the floor, so he ends up eating more that his share, and she ends up with less.

I scoop up the food on the floor and put it back in her bowl, but I can't be constantly doing this.... I need to somehow discourage her from this odd habit.

Any ideas??????
    Many thanks

I am guessing that she weighs much less than he does. Most likely, she needs 2 small meals per day, while he is big enough to eat once a day. So if you put in less, I think you will find she eats it all and solves the issue.

I would LOVE to see photos of both of them!

Well I just thought of one other possibility. Maybe she needs a dental cleaning? Are you only feeding dry kibble? That will cake up on the teeth. Think what happens when you eat graham crackers. And dry kibble turns to carbohydrates - sugars, which break down the teeth. I don't know about the Maltese but bichons are known for having poor teeth to start with, so if you aren't feeding properly and brushing her teeth, this 'may' be the issue. Check her mouth and see if she has lots of tartar build up on her teeth, especially the back molars.

But I'm still thinking she is a 2 meal a day doggie!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Well I just thought of one other possibility. Maybe she needs a dental cleaning? Are you only feeding dry kibble? That will cake up on the teeth. Think what happens when you eat graham crackers. And dry kibble turns to carbohydrates - sugars, which break down the teeth. I don't know about the Maltese but bichons are known for having poor teeth to start with, so if you aren't feeding properly and brushing her teeth, this 'may' be the issue. Check her mouth and see if she has lots of tartar build up on her teeth, especially the back molars.

But I'm still thinking she is a 2 meal a day doggie!
    My bitch simply cannot hold enough dry food in her stomach for one or even two meals a day. I feed both dogs a small dry feed in the morning, a small dry feed at lunchtime and a soaked larger meal at night. I just worked out how much food a day each dog needed and split it into manageable portions, not ideal, but it works. You should also not allow one dog to eat the others food. I feed my dogs about 6 feet apart, make them wait as the food goes down, then whistle to signal they can eat (two short blows). If one leaves or starts placing food outside of the bowl then pick the bowl up and sit the dog - feeding time is over. Allow the other dog to eat the food meant for it but nothing else. Your dog is telling you that you are feeding too much in one meal and the behaviour of removing food is the start of burying behaviour or the dog simply does not feel safe enough - not having set feeding times can make a dog worry that the food supply is not consistent and it needs to save some.