Thread: Flea med discussion

Flea med discussion

I decided to open a thread about flea meds because so many of them are changing active ingredients. I just bought some today after looking through all sorts of options. I chose to stick with the pyrethroid family since its been around longest and my dogs have never had an adverse reaction to them. I got phenothrin though which I've never used. The oral toxicity is 10,000mg/kg in labratory rats. I'm a litle wary of trying fipronil on my dogs (which is the current popular stuff) because it is way more toxic, 97mg/kg oral toxicity. Has anybody been using fipronil products? Have you had any problems?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Hey there - we had some discussion of this very topic on the Ask the Vets radio show. We are not recording this week, but the next time we do, I'll be sure to ask it! And you can see some similar discussion in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?180907-Trifexis-(heartworm-med)
    I've Been Frosted

I think if fipronil is taken in right amount as per weight of dogs according to prescription, it is not harmful. Basic prescribed is based on individual pipettes that are available for dogs in weight categories up to 22 pounds, 23-44 pounds, 45-88 pounds, and 89-132 pounds; over 132 pounds use the appropriate combination of pipettes or pipette plus spray. The side effects seen are temporary redness or itching at application site. The pet may drool if he licks the product (spray) before it dries.

Trifexis

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I decided to open a thread about flea meds because so many of them are changing active ingredients. I just bought some today after looking through all sorts of options. I chose to stick with the pyrethroid family since its been around longest and my dogs have never had an adverse reaction to them. I got phenothrin though which I've never used. The oral toxicity is 10,000mg/kg in labratory rats. I'm a litle wary of trying fipronil on my dogs (which is the current popular stuff) because it is way more toxic, 97mg/kg oral toxicity. Has anybody been using fipronil products? Have you had any problems?
    I gave my dog Trifexis this is a warning Please if you are going to give this drug please do some research I didn't and if I had I would still have my dog He died a horrible death, Took one month for him to die I can say with certainty that Trifexis killed him. While the vet will say that some dogs take a bad reaction to certain drugs The only way to find out is to give your dog the drug If he gets sick or dies then it was not the drug for him.
    Please research

Quote Originally Posted by kneeshawe View Post
    I gave my dog Trifexis this is a warning Please if you are going to give this drug please do some research I didn't and if I had I would still have my dog He died a horrible death, Took one month for him to die I can say with certainty that Trifexis killed him. While the vet will say that some dogs take a bad reaction to certain drugs The only way to find out is to give your dog the drug If he gets sick or dies then it was not the drug for him.
    Please research
    So sorry to hear you dog had such a bad reaction. Our condolences. As a human with severe food allergies, I do understand - sometimes our bodies just react badly to things that wouldn't bother anyone else, and that goes for all mammals.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    So sorry to hear you dog had such a bad reaction. Our condolences. As a human with severe food allergies, I do understand - sometimes our bodies just react badly to things that wouldn't bother anyone else, and that goes for all mammals.
    Thank you for your concern. The problem does not seem to be allergies. But poison. There are several posts on Facebook and the internet even videos on you tube, so it is a known problem. If my vet had told me that reaction to this drug can include death. It would have saved my dog. Trifexis should have some kind of warning that serious reaction up to and including death have been reported.
    One of the signs is change in eating habits and failure of rear legs then kidney failure.
    While I agree it does not effect ever dog, but we should still be told of the dangers so that an informed decision can be made. Why take the risk?