Thread: Simple training question

Simple training question

Ok, so since Zoee has been home with us since Xmas, she has gotten worse with her barking. I belive it's because she was out in the country for a year and it's really quiet out there. Also, she is now barking when she sees headlights or taillights on cars that are out the front door. We have sidelights on either side of the front door, so she can see the red and white lights moving. And I think this is because there is not a lot of traffic at my moms house so when anyone pulls up the driveway all the dogs bark (which is a good thing out in the country).
    I know I should do the postive reinforcement tactic. But I need one thing clarified. Do I tell her to stop barking (or whatever command we choose) and then treat when she stops, or do I just wait until she stops barking on her own to treat her?
    Any other suggestions are welcome too!

Bruce and I always end up arguing when it comes to training the dogs. So I want to have all my thoughts together before I approach him with this.

THANKS!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

First, no point in teaching her NOT to bark unless you first teach her TO bark on command. Otherwise she had no clue what it is you want. And waiting until she STOPS barking is only teaching her to ignore your commands for the first umpteen times. I bet she will be stunned if she is barking, you say "bark" or "speak" and, because she is still going she barks and a treat appears! He hee. So that should be rather easy to teach. Then you teach her to bark and to quiet (that is the command I use).

You can't start rewarding her when she is lying down quietly as this is how we capture the 'down' so it doesn't translate to a quiet for them.

Also, remember that dogs are visual and body language first, verbal last. So use a visual command, dogs seem to learn these more quickly than a verbal cue only. Of course if she is barking at something out a window, you have to get her attention for the visual and that may not be easy. BUT you can pair it with FOCUS! "Focus" means stop what you are doing and listen to me. You would teach the Focus command first and reward that each time, then move on to sequencing it, so the Focus gets her attention, followed by a sit, or a down, or a quiet. Remember you need to have the treats ready for all of this.

Hope this helps!

Two other suggestions:

Crate her for an hour when most of the traffic happens -- probably folks returning home from work.

If the lights are only seen from one window, buy a room darkening shade for the window and pull it down at night.

She does know the speak command, and has for years. Although most of the time instead of barking she sneezes when we tell her to speak.
    Covering the windows is not that easy. Its only glass bricks on either side of the door. I do have a plant on one side, but the way the glass bricks are, the light reflects all the way to the top.
    We use hand signals with all of her commands, so that part will be esay. But how do I get her attention when shes barking like crazy? I've noticed that now she runs down the hall while barking. Probably because that's where my mom always is at her house.
    Thanks for the suggestions Sandi. I will see what I can come up with that works for us. And Bruce will agree to try.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    But how do I get her attention when shes barking like crazy? .

Squirt bottle sprayed up the butt or on his face stops Coco when he barks like crazy. Along with "quiet" command.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Covering the windows is not that easy. Its only glass bricks on either side of the door.
    Is it a metal door? You can buy a magnetic rod and put a curtain on it. Just posting ideas!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-28-white.html Just one link, you can find them on Amazon and such as well.

When I bought this house 11 years back, it came with those rods on 2 doors, and a thin curtain -- just for privacy not to keep light out. But it is a thought, you can have a curtain that you slide open during the day if you need / want the light in the room, and close the curtain at night. IF the door is metal.

Thought I'd add my two cents too. Don't go nuts yelling or talking to her when she's barking, or she might think you're barking with her. I've seen an old lady with a high yappy voice try to get her yorkie to stop barking and honestly I could see the dog thought she was yapping at me too rather than at him to stop. One simple firm command and then use silent body language like blocking or taking hold of her collar to stop her and get her attention to do smething else like then commanding her to sit or lay down.

For the record, Autumn knows how to speak on command too, but it doesn't stop her from barking at something. Good thing she rarely barks.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

The squirt bottle won't work for her. She is super sensitive to things like that and it would stress her out.

I'll take a picture of the front door to show you. Adding blinds or drapes would look horrible, IMO.

She was barking just now and Bruce just told them to stop. They didn't listen. I called Zoee back to the bedroom and she stopped barking and came back to the bedroom.........amazing!!!!

Thanks for the ides everyone. I am going to try different things and see what works for her. I will keep you updated.