Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My beautiful 17 y.o. Bartie has cancer

My beautiful 17 y.o. Bartie has cancer

Bartie had his check up on Tuesday. His blood work came back with elevated white cell counts. He's been vomiting and has diarrhea. He lost 2 pounds in less than 5 months. The vet says he's got intestinal lymphoma. She said in order to definitively rule out IBD, a biopsy would have to be done. Given his age, frailty and weight, it would be way too invasive. So, he's on steroids, strong antibiotics, along with his other meds. She said he's not in pain. All I can do now is keep him comfortable. He's down to 5.3 lbs and is skin and bones. He's been pooping in my shower, which I believe is due to dementia. I don't mind as its easy to clean up. He sleeps 23 hours a day and has lost his hearing. I've only had him for 2 years but I ADORE him. I had a chat with him and told him that I love him, but it's okay to "go" whenever he wants to. I am beside myself. I find myself checking to see if he's still breathing. Could I ask everyone to keep my old man in your prayers?

Oh My! I am so sorry to read about your boy. I know you'll do your best to keep him comfy. It is so hard when our beloved pets get sick and cant be cured. I went through it with my Luke and toward the end I actually prayed that he would go naturally because he was so weak that he couldnt walk...just crawl. I couldnt stand to see him like that any longer (I prob waited too long) and took him to vet to be PTS. He went so easy. If you have to do that, I know your Bartie will understand and know that you're helping him. You're both in my prayers.

Prayers and loving good wishes and comfort are coming from us to your dear beloved Bartie and to you too, Donna.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Bartie has had 2 marvelous years which he would not have had with you, Donna. Remember that as you move through this.

Poor boy, his quality of life is not very good from the sounds of it. Prayers from RI for both of you.

You and he will be in our prayers.
    I've Been Frosted

Donna, I hate to hear this. I know how you feel. I am going through the exact same thing with my Mo, who is 16 and has been my big boy since he came into my life at 2 months old. He did have the scope done and biopsy. He was diagnosed with IBD. The treatment is the same as for lymphoma. He has not responded to any of the meds they have tried. He went from a honking 20 lbs down to 9. He eats constantly but stays so thin, you can feel all his bones. He even wakes me up during the night to feed him and has stopped using the litterbox to poo (which is diarrhea) but does use it to pee.He started with the vomitting but we do have that stopped. If Bart does have IBD it isn't curable, but it is treatable. I hope your vet's treatment plan works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    You and he will be in our prayers.
    From here, too (((HUGS)))

And a candle http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=17722671
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 01-18-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add candle
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Moosmom, sending virtual hugs to you and Bartie!! My Mac is getting up there in age and was also losing weight. Thankfully, he had hyperthyroid, which is treatable. I hope that Bartie responds to the meds and lives the rest of his life peacefully and without pain. Sending up prayers for you both.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

:(

Donna, I am sorry to hear about your kitty. It is always a difficult time. Decisions, decisions.

When my Miley girl was going through the later stages of her intestinal problems, the vet told me that the reason she stopped using a litter box was because she associated the litter box with the pain that was happening when she had a bowel movement. That is why she would go in odd places and seldom in the litter box (toward the end of her illness). It made sense to me. That was when I allowed her to go to RB and be out of pain. If I were you, I would make sure your vet is on target with the level of pain your kitty might be in. Cats are so darn stoic and often don't give strong indications about their level of pain.

Anyway, it is a sad time for you I am sure. It is difficult to see anything go down hill. I usually take an early step in total pain relief when it comes to my pets. Maybe I am too early, but once I get the diagnosis, I act pretty quickly and make the dreaded appointment with the vet. The less discomfort they have, the better off they are, in my opinion anyway.

I hope your time with Bartie is good and he is not in much discomfort. Hang in their Bartie. You are loved.

You are both in my prayers.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I hope the steroids and antibiotics help Bartie feel better. HUGS to you...this is just such bad news. Feel more comfy Bartie and snuggle up to your Mom. She loves you very very much.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We are so sorry to hear about Bartie, its a shock when our Cats become older and fall prey to illness.
    We always want them to be well and there is such a feeling of helpnessness when we cannot make everything all right as we could when they were young.
    WE pray that Bartie can get better , that he is not in pain.
    All of our prayers are coming for Bartie from the Found Cat Hotel.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and Bartie in my thoughts. At least he is in the best home ever for his last years.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm sorry your oldtimer Bartie isn't doing well.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Donna, I'm so very sorry to hear about Bartie. Prayers and positive thoughts headed your way - hugs all around