Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Emergencies - are you prepared?

Pet Emergencies - are you prepared?

I got a message and ended up speaking with a woman who found Pet Talk, and needed help with a hamster issue and had no idea what to do or where to turn. After we spoke on the phone for a bit, I gave her the phone number for Angell Memorial in Boston, which has an Emergency Help Line, it is part of the Massachusetts SPCA.

But it occurred to me - as pet emergencies rarely happen when the vet's office is open, do you know who you could call in such an event?

I know I am fortunate, no only do I have them not too far away, there are two 24-hour vet clinics a couple miles from here.

Just in case anyone ever needs it, the number I gave her is Angell Memorial Emergency: 617-522-7282 (press 1)

How about folks list their own resources for such events, just so people can check here if necessary ...
    I've Been Frosted

I have the local emergency vets numbers programmed into my cell phone, have since I got the phone. I also have several regular vets in there too so I don't have to look up their number I can just call. To be honest I have two of their numbers memorized anyway though.

Thank you, Karen for the reminder! I am not as prepared as I should be. Our vet always asks this question too.

The biggest emergencies I can see us needing to be prepared for - a loss of utilities, heat or water for an extended period; or, for some reason I need to go to my parents' house because of something that's happened there, and Cassie goes with me. My mom has one of those single-use disposable litter pans on hand in case we ever need to stay with them on s hort notice.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have an emergency vet about 20 minutes away.

This winter I bought a propane heater in case we lose power when it's really cold. While I might find a place to go,
    not many would welcome five furkids and 14 fishies.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I know my vets number, don't need to go look it up or have it saved in my phone. If it is after hours then there is always at least one vet on call.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    There are only three pet emergency ER's in the whole state (not that DE is big to begin with), and the closest is about a half hour drive from here. I know the address and the general vicinity, but don't know exactly where it is. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take a ride and find them one day that I'm in that general vicinity. They are open all night (the hours that a regular practice is closed) but not during the day, and are open 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Not sure about holidays - guess I should check it out.

Thanks for bringing up the subject, Karen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have three ER vets in my area. Over the past 15 years, I've managed to use all 3 at one time or another.

I'm a 5 minute (or less if panicked) walk the the Emergency Vet. In fact I'd get there quicker on foot than driving.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

We are 10 minutes away from the animal hospital where we take Ryder for his checkups, etc. We are lucky! We also have the # programmed in our cell phones as well.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I have my "old" ER vet I used, and a newer one my vet recommends. Also I pass a vet that is open 7am to midnight every day on my way to work. I also have my vets number memorized and they recognize my voice when I call too!

I have not had to make a trip to the ER vet in several months (knocks on wood).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know the numbers for both vet clinics I use off the top of my head and they are programmed into every phone we own! My favourite vet has also given me her home phone number. I try not to take advantage of the fact that I know that number, but I have made a few "CANDACE HELP" phone calls to her house!

I keep a well stocked critter first aid kit as well....ointments, eye drops, cleaners, guaze and wrap. I also have a supply of painkillers, prednisone, allergy medication and antibiotics.

We always keep enough food and medications around to last at least a couple weeks.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

We now have 3 Emergency Vets in the county. One is about 10 minutes away; the next is maybe 20 minutes; and the third is about 30 minutes. We have used two of them in the past and both were wonderful.

Hi Gretchen, which emergency vets?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Actually, no. We aren't very prepared. I don't even know the nearest E-Vet hospital. I have the # for one in my phone when Mikey decided to eat a SOCK. But they told us not to come in, so I don't know WHERE it is. I probably should, anything can happen. God forbid though, our Vet is five minutes away and there's a vet down the road I can probably walk to that just opened.

Good topic! I have a regular vet about 12 minutes away. I had never used an emergency vet until Sissy needed an emergency operation last April; I think they saved her life. We have two ER vets about 25 mins away and the one we took Sissy to is 40 mins away. We went there because our regular vet recommended it when I called him. Hope I never have to go to emergency vet again but we never know. It's better to know where they are than not know.