Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who have never seen a double rex or hairless rat, look here!

For those of you who have never seen a double rex or hairless rat, look here!

I am going to post some pics here, Imagestation is being crappy so I will just attach the files.

First here is a pic of my double rex rat Double the second, hehe. Contrary to what people believe they are not hairless, they do contain a small amount of fur which grows in and then falls out in patches, which is why some people refer to them a patchwork hairless. Double rex is the result of breeding Rex to Rex (curly haired rats with tight curly whiskers) and after breeding several generations of Double rex you eventually get hairless. There are also Double Velveteen rats as well. Velveteen being similar to Rex but much softer and missing more guard hairs.

Here is Double the second!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Double the First

Here is a pic of my first double rex rat, Double. As you can see he has quite a bit of fur here, when he was a baby he was completely blad.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

He's kind of weird looking yet cute. I don't think I've ever seen a hairless rat before. He's cuter then I would have thought. The second rat is cute too, he looks like he would be really soft.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

The proud parents to be :P

Here is Double and Wrinkles the second.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Double and Wrinkles

Aren't they a cute couple!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

i don't like rats. ;\ they scare me.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    i don't like rats. ;\ they scare me.

Why do they scare you? They ae very intelligent, clean, and kissy little critters and DO NOT carry diseases!!!!!!!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

A True Hairless Rat, totally different genetics than a Double rex

As you can see this is a hairless rat (no fur at all) and not a double rex.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Another true hairless

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I never used to like rats until I worked at Petco. We had accidentally gotten in a female rat with the males so we needed to keep her seperate. So we put her in a large tank with a screen on the top. Everynight she would escape, then in the morning when we opened the store and turned on the lights we would see her run around the store and go back to her cage and wait to be fed. It was so cute, she was my first rat love. Someday I'd like to get a rat, they are sweet.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I just think they look nasty.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My hairless doe again

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I just think they look nasty.

What's nasty about them?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

OMG! THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!!!!

Hairless rats have also been on my lists of "rats I must have"! Ever since I saw one at the pet store being picked on by kids, I fell in love! They are so cute! I love their little punims (yiddish for face)! Give them a little kiss for me!

Did you see the Hairless that was Pet of the Day a couple of days ago? I loved its little sweater.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

A Dumbo eared Double Velveteen named Bare

He has a piece of leaf stuck to his nose, hehe.

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major