Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need ideas re: Myndi

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Older dogs, as with older people, they lose the ability to control their bowels & bladder. I don't know if that might be the problem
    with Myndi or not. Every thing Freedom suggested is good to consider, more walking around to stimulate the natural function, if she
    is capable to walk more, it might help.17 yrs in dog age equals how old in humans? I hope you find something that helps. Must be
    a pain for you and for Myndi if she thinks she's done something wrong.
    The dog/human age used to calculated as 7 to 1, but that no longer applies. My vet has a chart (and I found the same one on line), that is now more accurate, so at 17, Myndi is 84 years old in people years. She's still pretty darn spunky for that age too.

It's not that she doesn't have control - she just chooses to go where she wants too - and the pooping in the house is the biggest issue. I wish I could figure out why she's doing it, but I'll probably never know. I just have to try harder to out-stubborn her and make her stay out till she poops outside. In the cold weather - that ain't easy tho!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sorry Pom--- just spotted this post now. Freedom had some good advice as others also. Seems nothing is working for you though. Do you think maybe the colder weather is stopping her from going? The house is nice and warm---comparable to us having to use an outhouse right now although our weather is so warm we can wear sweats to go out. Today was one above C , hard to believe, the snow is almost gone.
    Do you think if you took a pee pad and when she pees you could dab a bit of it on the pad so "her" smell will attract her to use it? Just an idea, not sure it will work but I remember housebreaking a dog this way...took a paper towel outside after an accident inside and staked it to a spot in the yard and bingo, no more accidents.
    I was wondering if maybe her footing is better inside now that the ground is frozen and we have snow? Of course age can have a lot to do with it also. Are you sure she isn't pooling? As for the poop that's a hard one...could just be a preference...just forgive and forget ------she's so worth it
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    And the poop goes on.......not "the beat goes on" like Sonny and Cher sang about. Last night and again this morning. If she can pee outside - then I see no reason why she can't poop outside. I've tried telling her that, but she's not listening - it's like "talk to the paw" which she used to pull when she was younger. If I was scolding her about something, she would turn her head away from me with her nose in the air, and raise one of her paws up so that it was up by her face. It was really hilarious, and I would have to walk away so she wouldn't see me laughing about it - after all - I was supposed to be scolding her!!!

She has her potty spots outside and always uses the same ones - to pee it's by a bush by the back porch, and to poop it's the area between the house and garage, or behind the garage heading out toward a big tree. She hardly ever reverts from these areas. The ground isn't frozen and we haven't had any snow, so there's no problem sniffing out her own territory.

It was nasty and rainy/drizzling last night and again this morning, so I didn't have her out for too long. Later today closer to her supper time, I'm going to make it a nice long outing, since it's clearing off now. Don't know what else I can do.............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

A few possibilities...

Your fuzzy is quite an age now and she may indeed have doggy dementia, which would/could effect her bathroom habits, eating habits, and sleeping habits. Scolding her won't get the message across, as she may not even remember exactly what she did. The diaper is a good option and you may wish to go to that full time if she is found to have dementia/senility. The best advice would be to take her to the vet and ask the vet's opinion on her mental and physical condition. Sometimes dogs in old age will get odd bathroom habits when they have some sort of sickness or disorder, which is why a visit to the vet would be important. The other possibility is that your dog may be stressed out by some change made to the home or yard, new furniture, a new roommate or family member moving in, even moving things around could effect her state of mind and make her not want to use the outdoors for all her duties. But remember, just like elderly people, elderly dogs need patience, especially if they have dementia. And, just like old people, sometimes an old dog may have to go to diapers full time.