Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas re: Myndi

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Need ideas re: Myndi

Okay - so she's a senior senior and will be 17 in less than 2 weeks, and her potty manners seem to have flown out the window. I attribute some of it to the fact that she can be a wee bit senile at times, but in general, she's sharp as a tack and is "with it" the majority of the time. But now she has decided she no longer needs to tell me when she has to go out. I try to combat this by taking her out very frequently during the day and she generally gets the message and goes. At night and when I have to be away from the house for a bit, I put a diaper on her, since after several "accidents" on the bed at night , I had to resort to drastic measures! Sometimes the diaper is wet in the morning - other times not - but I prefer not to take any more chances by leaving it off.

Anyway, now it has gotten to the point - especially on her first outing of the day - that she will pee when I take her out, but then comes in the house and within 5 minutes or so - will poop on the floor. It has become more frequent over the past month or so. This morning I had her outside twice - once when we first got up and then again after her breakfast - for at least 15-20 minutes each time, and sure enough, while I was puttering around the kitchen after her 2nd trip outside - she pooped on the floor! If I scold her she goes into her major attitude mode, and goes on a hunger strike for a day or so, and I can't afford to have that happening since she already has lost a little weight (age and activity related).

So what do I do??? - just grin and bear it and chalk it up to her age? I really can't think of anything else to do under the circumstances.

Any suggestions???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Walk. Don't just take her outside and stand around waiting for 'it' to happen. Walk her.

Movement is needed to get things going and as we age - humans and canine alike - it takes some time to get the kinks out, become fully awake, and get our insides aware that we are now UP and time to move.

A walk in before bed will also help prevent overnight episodes. A 15 minute walk should do it. Let her sniff when you first go out, and then keep moving for the full time - unless she has to go, of course.

Thanks Sandie - I knew I could count on YOU for a suggestion.

Unfortunately with her legs failing more, then she doesn't go for a walk in the true sense of the meaning. She'll stroll around outside on her own and sniff and check out what she feels up to, but that's about the extent of it. Much more than that is just too uncomfortable for her, and then the back legs give out and I have to stand her back up. Yes - it's sad watching them age and have their lifestyle change.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

If I get a chance, I will Ask the Vets about it this afternoon during the radio show. Aging is hard to deal with, in pets and people both.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen, I'd appreciate that.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

The last few months with Marlin, I'd walk him down the street and back, took us half an hour. The others, I did it in less than 3 minutes, down and back. So we do what they are able to do. It was really tough the last 10 days, as Sugar wasn't able to keep up with the other dogs but Marlin's pace was much too slow, so I had to make 3 separate walk trips, twice a day.

Have you asked the vet about Adequan shots for her back legs? Wait, first you need to know what the issue is. If it is arthritis, then ask about Adequan, that works wonders! Marlin was on it 4 years and now Willy is on it. There is a loading period, shots twice a week for 4 weeks, then you go to maintenance, one shot per month.

Sandie - there is so much that she can't take, and Adequan is one of them. Most of what would be able to help her she can't take because of her kidney issues, and also because of the previous GI bleed. She takes 1/4 of a 50mg Tramadol tablet twice each day, and she's really at the max on that since she only weighs a little over 9 lbs. She also takes gluco/chrond combo tablet, but I really don't know how much help that is at this stage of the game.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I am so sorry, I didn't get to ask them about Myndi, we ran out of time. How is her poop, when it happens? Would maybe adding some pumpkin help speed things up in that department?
    I've Been Frosted

That's okay Karen.

It isn't anything wrong with her poop - and she's pretty regular - in the a.m. and again around her supper time - either right before or right after. The problem is where she is pooping. She can be outside wandering around for a half hour, then come in the house and 5 minutes later, poop on the floor. It's not every time, but it is more frequent than I like. And she won't tell me when she has to go outside any more - I just take her out frequently. She'll pee outside, so I have no idea what her problem can be when she gets it in her head not to poop outside.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    That's okay Karen.

It isn't anything wrong with her poop - and she's pretty regular - in the a.m. and again around her supper time - either right before or right after. The problem is where she is pooping. She can be outside wandering around for a half hour, then come in the house and 5 minutes later, poop on the floor. It's not every time, but it is more frequent than I like. And she won't tell me when she has to go outside any more - I just take her out frequently. She'll pee outside, so I have no idea what her problem can be when she gets it in her head not to poop outside.
    Anything new or different in the environment outside that might make her wary on doing it out there?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Anything new or different in the environment outside that might make her wary on doing it out there?
    Nope - no changes. I've wracked my brain trying to figure out her change in behavior and can't come up with anything. She might be smelling where strange critters have been in the yard during the night since I've noticed she does a lot more sniffing the ground than she used to do, but her undesirable behavior is sporadic and there's critters wandering thru here all the time, so that shouldn't be spooking her. I just don't get it!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Hey Karen - I had a thought - tho don't know if this could have anything to do with it.

Regarding scents and her sniffing around more outside. Maybe it stems back to Sparky. I'm sure most of his scents outside have been eliminated by the weather - rain, sun, etc, where inside the house the scents of him are still very strong on the furniture and carpets - even tho the carpets have been shampooed. Maybe she's actually looking for him and leaving her calling card??? I don't know!!! - kinda far fetched but not impossible I suppose. Who knows what's going on in that little Pommy head of hers?
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Do you think she'd use a pee pad for her business indoors? Would make clean ups a little easier.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I tried once to get her to use piddle pads, but that was an effort in futility. She is the most stubborn dog I ever had (and the smartest), so when she makes up her mind NOT to do something I'd like her to do, then there's no chance that I'm gonna win. Now I have her age working against me too - you know - can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!! But she's my girl and I love her no matter what.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Older dogs, as with older people, they lose the ability to control their bowels & bladder. I don't know if that might be the problem
    with Myndi or not. Every thing Freedom suggested is good to consider, more walking around to stimulate the natural function, if she
    is capable to walk more, it might help.17 yrs in dog age equals how old in humans? I hope you find something that helps. Must be
    a pain for you and for Myndi if she thinks she's done something wrong.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt