Thread: Am I impolite 'cause my status updates on Facebook are in English? :-(

Hybrid View

Am I impolite 'cause my status updates on Facebook are in English? :-(

As you may know, I'm on Facebook for many years, and I have always written in English. When I registered in 2008, almost all of my FB friends were from English speaking countries; Pet Talk folks and other friends I made on the net over the years. There were barely Germans on Facebook those years, as most of us were in a German social network called wer-kennt-wen.de. I used to have an account there where I was communicating with my German friends - in German, of course.

Over the past few years, more and more of these German friends moved to Facebook and abandoned wer-kennt-wen (I deleted my own wkw-account sometime in 2012), and by now, my friend list on Facebook is half German, half English-spoken. I'm still writing in English most of the time because I want everyone to understand what I'm taking about. I took for granted that most Germans know at least the basics of the English language, but obviously, I'm wrong. Lately, I got some stupid remarks by some folks who really seem to be offended that I'm not using my native language, which annoys me. Is it rude of me to make them feel excluded? What do you think?

Heavens, no! I enjoy the mix of German and English that I see on your page!

(I'm following a Czech language page called "Living with my Cats". I can't make out most of the text, save for the occasional word or phrase. But I still enjoy the pictures and trying to figure out what the posts mean. My friend Tammy lives in Spain so her content is always a mix of Spanish and English. I can't read the Spanish but I enjoy looking at the words and trying to sound them out.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It is your choice how to proceed!

Part of the 'down side' of speaking / writing multiple languages, is which one to choose. I see some folks post in one language one time, another language a different time, depending on what they are posting. Examples:
    If your soccer team has a game on TV, the folks in the USA probably can't get it anyway. That is a post for your local pals.
    Short posts can be posted in both languages: I set up a new photo album check it out!

Kirsten, honestly, people get offended now a days if you BREATHE the wrong way. Take it with a grain of salt, ignore them. It's your page and they shouldn't be telling you how to run it. Tell them to block your posts from appearing on their newsfeed if they continue.

You post however you want to. Usually there is a place to show translation so I can see what you are saying.
    Isabel (Husky_mom) makes some of her posts in Spanish and I just click on the translation to read it.

And since I took German for three years in high school (of course that was over 20 years ago) I still like to see what words I know.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I have 10 or so friends that post in dual languages. I have never thought it rude, or really, thought anything of it! It is your business how you post.