Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Vet!

Unfortunately, I'll be working at that time and unable to listen, but I would like to know what the vets say regarding Oscar's problem mentioned in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...LEX-any-advice. I haven't found anything on the Internet that mentions removal of all teeth to stop the problem once it progresses past the steroid treatment stage. My vet didn't think it was caused by a food allergy but rather an allergy to bacteria in the mouth. So, I guess I'd like to know if that is common or if there is a way to determine what is causing Oscar's allergy and if any of them have heard of or tried for themselves removing all of the teeth. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to be more clear.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Unfortunately, I'll be working at that time and unable to listen, but I would like to know what the vets say regarding Oscar's problem mentioned in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...LEX-any-advice. I haven't found anything on the Internet that mentions removal of all teeth to stop the problem once it progresses past the steroid treatment stage. My vet didn't think it was caused by a food allergy but rather an allergy to bacteria in the mouth. So, I guess I'd like to know if that is common or if there is a way to determine what is causing Oscar's allergy and if any of them have heard of or tried for themselves removing all of the teeth. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to be more clear.
    Got it!
    I've Been Frosted

Anyone else have any questions for the vets this week?
    I've Been Frosted

I have one. I know that herpes eye virus in cats can't be cured and that lysine will sometimes help. What other things can I do to help prevent an outbreak of this in my cats? Since I now own 10 cats, they've been having many more eye infections than they ever used to. I got rid of the Chlamydia infections but then all of my younger cats broke out with what my vet thinks is the herpes eye infection. First it was Finnegan, then Radar, then Rory, then Reece, and then Colby. Right now they all seem fine again but for how long. I also know that stress will cause outbreaks. I was told by the pharmacy tech that it's happening because they are young cats so their immune systems aren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I have one. I know that herpes eye virus in cats can't be cured and that lysine will sometimes help. What other things can I do to help prevent an outbreak of this in my cats? Since I now own 10 cats, they've been having many more eye infections than they ever used to. I got rid of the Chlamydia infections but then all of my younger cats broke out with what my vet thinks is the herpes eye infection. First it was Finnegan, then Radar, then Rory, then Reece, and then Colby. Right now they all seem fine again but for how long. I also know that stress will cause outbreaks. I was told by the pharmacy tech that it's happening because they are young cats so their immune systems aren't as good.

I will ask!
    I've Been Frosted

By the way, this week we are doing the show on Thursday, at 3 EST, so I can still take questions up to that point!
    I've Been Frosted

After Clover was spayed (like the day she was home) she drank a bunch of water until she had a large belly and I started to limit it for her a little. I assumed it had to do with her belly hurting. Anyway, she still gets this now and then where she just won't stop drinking. It's happened a few more times, and again today - her belly is bloated looking. I looked up symptoms for bloat, but she seems fine other then the large belly and thirst. If it's just an upset belly then is there something I can do to prevent her from over drinking? Is it harmful to drink that much?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I will ask that, I take it she's otherwise acting normally, gums are healthy and pink, etc?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I will ask that, I take it she's otherwise acting normally, gums are healthy and pink, etc?
    Yeah she seems fine other then that. I came home from work this evening and she greeted me with a wagging tail and excitement like always.

Actually, I just noticed she had very runny diarrhea.

I also gave her a fish oil pill last night...I gave them to her before without a problem but she hasn't had one in a while. Could that cause the diarrhea?

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    Actually, I just noticed she had very runny diarrhea.

I also gave her a fish oil pill last night...I gave them to her before without a problem but she hasn't had one in a while. Could that cause the diarrhea?
    I'll ask the vets on Thursday, I'll mention that!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, would you please ask your vets if they have any thoughts on how I can get Sparkler OUT from inside the bedsprings-box where she has been hiding so much of the time?

There is more info about all this in the thread I've been posting in Cat/Health about Sparkler: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ppetite-is-off .

Thanks,
    Pat and Sparkler and the other kitties
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Will do ...
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I have lots of answers for folks, I will post tonight what I remember, and will also email folks the audio files when I get them, probably tomorrow!
    I've Been Frosted