Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Vet!

Thank you! Have been looking forward to seeing the answers you got for all the questions.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Unfortunately, I'll be working at that time and unable to listen, but I would like to know what the vets say regarding Oscar's problem mentioned in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...LEX-any-advice. I haven't found anything on the Internet that mentions removal of all teeth to stop the problem once it progresses past the steroid treatment stage. My vet didn't think it was caused by a food allergy but rather an allergy to bacteria in the mouth. So, I guess I'd like to know if that is common or if there is a way to determine what is causing Oscar's allergy and if any of them have heard of or tried for themselves removing all of the teeth. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to be more clear.
    They were both aghast at the mention of removing all Oscar's teeth, and would never recommend that. This is a very common condition, and the first thing to do is change his diet. It is nearly always caused by food allergies, so start with a simple one-ingredient food - cooked chicken is a good place to start, then you can try adding in other things, but getting his diet under control and figuring out the allergies is tedious, but WAY preferable to removing his teeth, in both vet's opinions. There's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Will email you audio file when I get it!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    They were both aghast at the mention of removing all Oscar's teeth, and would never recommend that. This is a very common condition, and the first thing to do is change his diet. It is nearly always caused by food allergies, so start with a simple one-ingredient food - cooked chicken is a good place to start, then you can try adding in other things, but getting his diet under control and figuring out the allergies is tedious, but WAY preferable to removing his teeth, in both vet's opinions. There's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Will email you audio file when I get it!
    Yes, my Pearl also has this autoimmune disease and my vet has never suggested that we remove her teeth. Hers also seems to be from a food allergy and she does best on a grain free diet. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I have one. I know that herpes eye virus in cats can't be cured and that lysine will sometimes help. What other things can I do to help prevent an outbreak of this in my cats? Since I now own 10 cats, they've been having many more eye infections than they ever used to. I got rid of the Chlamydia infections but then all of my younger cats broke out with what my vet thinks is the herpes eye infection. First it was Finnegan, then Radar, then Rory, then Reece, and then Colby. Right now they all seem fine again but for how long. I also know that stress will cause outbreaks. I was told by the pharmacy tech that it's happening because they are young cats so their immune systems aren't as good.
    They both agreed that making sure everything is completely disinfected - all surfaces, etc., while everyone is healthy, and then work on adding immune-boosting supplements to their diets. They mentioned several different over-the-counter type ones, and next time an outbreak happens, get it tested to be SURE it is the herpes virus, there ARE tests for it, and if it is or is not, there are different methods of treatment. Again, of course the audio files have more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    After Clover was spayed (like the day she was home) she drank a bunch of water until she had a large belly and I started to limit it for her a little. I assumed it had to do with her belly hurting. Anyway, she still gets this now and then where she just won't stop drinking. It's happened a few more times, and again today - her belly is bloated looking. I looked up symptoms for bloat, but she seems fine other then the large belly and thirst. If it's just an upset belly then is there something I can do to prevent her from over drinking? Is it harmful to drink that much?
    Drinking that much is not necessarily harmful, but it is a clear sign that something is wrong. They worried about her liver function, which if it is off can make her *think* she needs to drink to cool her tummy off. It is a cause for a vet trip, and probably a blood test. Dr. Carol mentioned that, because it started right after her spay, the anesthesia may have done some liver damage, it happens in some dogs.

Also, yes, the fish oil capsule could absolutely cause the runny poop - get her checked out, and certainly don't give her another until everything checks out okay!

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Karen, would you please ask your vets if they have any thoughts on how I can get Sparkler OUT from inside the bedsprings-box where she has been hiding so much of the time?
    Thanks,
    Pat and Sparkler and the other kitties
    Both vets agreed that, given everything that going on with Sparkler, you need to get her out from there, even if you have to pull her (gently) out, and keep her for the time being in a small, confined space, usually a bathroom works best, so you can see her, and administer meds as needed. Later in the show we talked about aromatherapy for horses, and lavender was mentioned as a calming scent/oil for all mammals, so some lavender stem or a lavender candle, or lavender scent dabbed onto your hands while you pet her may help calm her, and help the transition form in the boxspring to her new convalescing spot.

We also talked about Slick's Merlin's diagnosis, and what she can do, and about Spot's facing chemotherapy and his cancer, so I'll be emailing audio files to them, too!

Hope this helps!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, Karen!

You're welcome!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, Karen, and thank you to the vets. I suppose the bathroom is an idea.. it's very small and there isn't really anywhere she could "hide" in it. She really needs a lot of safe space around her. In the bathtub, maybe, if I keep the shower curtain pulled across.. I wonder..?

Sparkler has been lying in the "hammock" made by the sagging fabric more, and I can reach in and pet her, and she purrs and purrs. And I can give her food there, and she eats it.

And, mirabile dictu, last night she climbed up on the bed while I was about to fall off to sleep and laid down near me so I could pet her and pet her more and she could purr and purr more!

This morning she was out with the other cats waiting for her food.

Maybe the Convenia has finally taken effect and she has turned the corner? Please, God?!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

So sorry folks, the engineer will get me the recordings hopefully by Wednesday, he apologized for the delay.

Anyone have any questions for this week's show? We'll have a different veterinarian on this week, a guy from the Denver area, but any and all questions are welcome!
    I've Been Frosted

I (unexpectedly) got the audio files tonight, and emailed them to folks, let me know that you got them and were able to listen, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

I got the files. I don't have time to listen to them this morning, but I did start one of them to make sure it worked. Thank you very much!

Hi Karen, I got the files, and I just listened to them. They came out fine. Thanks!

Sparkler is doing MUCH better now. She comes out from under the bed sometimes, she eats, she LOOOOOOOVES me to pet her and love on her and purrs loudly in response!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks Karen. I got the files but I won't have time to listen to them until tonight.

Okay, and folks, any questions for this week, le me know!
    I've Been Frosted

So did anyone get a chance to listen yet?
    I've Been Frosted