Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ask a Vet!

Yes, I listened to them all! These vets are very good and generous to contribute so much time and thoughtfulness and expertise.

Please tell them how much better Sparkler is doing. Also, please thank them for their advice. Sparkler is out from her hidey-hole or in her hammock most of the time now. I give her a lot of hands-on loving.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

So, anyone have any questions for the vets this week? We will have a new voice on, Dr. Don Kanfer, so another opinion!
    I've Been Frosted

I've noticed here lately when Toby jumps up in my lap for an evening nap, after about 5 minutes he becomes totally limp. Sometimes his ears, whiskers, or feet will twitch slightly like a dog does when they're "dreaming", but not enough to scream "seizure" (to me anyway) He is hard to awaken when he is like this. After several seconds of prodding and talking to him, he will first retain rigidity and then eventually open his eyes as if I have disturbed him. I free feed him dry food, so it's not like he ate a huge meal and then passed out.

Is this just a DEEP sleep, or do I have a problem?

He's 5 years old, neutered, Snowshoe Siamese, and has no other health problems.

I will ask!
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, show's over for today, and I can give you what feedback I remember and will email everyone the audio files when I get them! aTailOf2Kitties - they said if this is a brand new behavior it might be worth a vet trip, but as it is only happening when he's asleep it could just be a happy, deeply asleep kitty.

They mentioned hearing - do you try to wake him vocally, and maybe he doesn't hear you? They all agreed that, as it only happens when he's asleep they doubt it is any kind of seizure, they mentioned a few other things, I'll send you the audio file when I get it!
    I've Been Frosted

not sure if this is brand new behavior. I only know he's like this when he's sleeping on my lap, and he's only a lap kitty in phases. He's more likely to jump up on me when it's chilly in the house and I'm all wrapped up in a blanket myself. Even then he'll jump down if I pet him too much or get too fidgety. I usually talk to him softly when trying to wake him. His hearing is fine- I just called to him in the other room and he looked up at me.