Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The FLU

Blog Entries
    I usually get a flu shot. That was on my to do list, I can't believe I forgot. I REALLY can't.

Blog Entries
    Just gonna puke, sweat and crap all day. Not much choice. Ya drop the ball, sometimes ya gotta pay the price. No ones perfect. xox

Sad part is I got the flu shot. Doctor said this strain was not covered by the shot....lovely.

Now SO is so sick. Actually sicker than I've been. Feel so bad for him and I'm still not well.

Blog Entries
    I am SO sorry honey. I feel ya, this s SO GROSS! If I live through this, it'll be a miracle. Only good news I got, hummingbird is back. Just managed to stop hurling enough to fill up the feeder. Rainbow colored, very beautiful

I think we'll all live through it....but my doctor said to expect it to take about 3 weeks to phase out of your system. Wow, sounds like fun?

It's many years ago now since I got the FLU. Lucky me hey!!
    I get my anti-flu injection every year; this winter I got it early December.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.
    Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.
    I agree. I used to have tonsilitis a lot too but I was only about 5 or so when I finally had my tonsils removed. They actually had to postpone the surgery because I got it again right before I was supposed to have the surgery. Both of my brothers were a bit older when they had theirs removed so their recovery time was a bit longer than mine. I would ask your doctor about this since it seems to be a reoccuring thing with you. Good luck.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I too wondered about Sandie still having her tonsils - and dealing with the tonsillitis so often. I had mine out on my 5th birthday!!! - yup - it had been scheduled twice before and had to cancel when I first came down with measles, and the 2nd time it was mumps! - in the olden days before they had vaccines for everything! My son used to get deathly sick with tonsillitis and ear infections, and they had to yank his out before he was even 2 yrs old, tho they don't like to do it that early. My ex was in his late 20's when he had his out. Boy - was he one miserable so-and-so recovering from that!

Hope everyone still fighting the flu is starting to feel better. I saw doc yesterday and mine is just a nasty head and chest bacterial infection, so I'm on meds for that and starting to feel a little better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I was also 5 when my tonsils were removed. Ellie, we were living in Cranston then, and the doctor took them out in our kitchen!!

My brother also had his removed at home - about 6 months after I did.

The only thing good about the entire experience - all that ice cream I got to have post-op

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I was also 5 when my tonsils were removed. Ellie, we were living in Cranston then, and the doctor took them out in our kitchen!!

My brother also had his removed at home - about 6 months after I did.

The only thing good about the entire experience - all that ice cream I got to have post-op
    OMG - that thought makes me cringe. I can just picture you on the kitchen table with that as the operating table. LOL!! At least I had the benefit of the hospital for my procedure. Yup - ice cream and jello made it somewhat worthwhile. Now they encourage roughage to speed up the recovery time, instead of babying the throat with the good things that we had, at least they did with my son after the first day post-op. Makes sense I suppose, since medical practices and ideas have changed so much. I can remember my mother telling me that she was in the hospital for over 2 weeks when she gave birth to me - and that was common practice at that time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I still have my tonsils. My mom tried to get me to agree to have them out when I was 17 - NOPE. I'd had one stint in the hospital with pneumonia as a child and watched several kids come in to have their tonsils removed. That convinced me to keep mine.

The flu is on it's way out for me. My poor SO is a few days behind and still suffering pretty bad. I think because he is not able to take the Tamiflu (he's allergic to some component of the medication), it may be a long haul for him. He's still running a 100+ degree temp.

Hope everyone stays well. This stuff going around is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    I still have my tonsils. My mom tried to get me to agree to have them out when I was 17 - NOPE. I'd had one stint in the hospital with pneumonia as a child and watched several kids come in to have their tonsils removed. That convinced me to keep mine.

The flu is on it's way out for me. My poor SO is a few days behind and still suffering pretty bad. I think because he is not able to take the Tamiflu (he's allergic to some component of the medication), it may be a long haul for him. He's still running a 100+ degree temp.

Hope everyone stays well. This stuff going around is terrible.
    Hey, robinh, do you have a pharmacist you trust? maybe you could ask if they have something like Tamilflu, but without the things in it you SO is allergic to? (Make sure you bring a list of his allergies with you!)
    I've Been Frosted

So far so good here. I actually never get the flu. Even a cold doesn't happen often.....I've never taken the flu shot and probably never will. Anything free from the government I don't trust. My doctor prefers I don't take it so I'm happy with that.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Sorry to hear that you are sick. Hopefully you mend quickly.

I remember when my son was little, probably about 18 months old. My husband at the time and I both got the flu at the same time and our son did not. My husband took the recliner and I took the couch and we blocked the little guy in the room with us with furniture so he couldn't wander aimlessly through the house. Oh the good old days!