Thread: The FLU

Hybrid View

The FLU

Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu??? Yup - it's keeping me company this week. Glad this appears to be a mild case tho - I've had a whole lot worse. And of course I didn't get a flu shot this year, and I normally ALWAYS do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, my sympathies. I got my flu shot this year, as I do every year, so have not had it, thank goodness. I only ever had it once, caught it on my way out of the hospital from brain survey many years ago, so I thought some of the misery was just part of my recovery process until I went to get my stitches out, and the resident who removed them said, "No, you have the flu!" like I should have known that!
    I've Been Frosted

Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.

No, I havent had the flu but I had cough, sore throat, laryngitis and a few days later I had pneumonia diagnosed on 12.25.12 (sick as a dog as the saying goes) and stayed 3.5 days in hospital. Just today for the first time in weeks I felt halfway normal. Take care of yourself.

Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu???
    YES, that's the one!! Would like to say I'm glad I'm not suffering alone, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Taking care of the dogs is interesting too.

Sad part - I had the flu shot, but my doctor says this is one not covered....great. Not sure the cure isn't worse than the disease. That Tamiflu is mean stuff.

Now SO has it. He'll start his Tamiflu and cough syrup today when he picks it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.
    Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.
    I agree. I used to have tonsilitis a lot too but I was only about 5 or so when I finally had my tonsils removed. They actually had to postpone the surgery because I got it again right before I was supposed to have the surgery. Both of my brothers were a bit older when they had theirs removed so their recovery time was a bit longer than mine. I would ask your doctor about this since it seems to be a reoccuring thing with you. Good luck.