Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a flea?! *update: still itchy*

I haven't found anymore fleas on Clover so I think most/all the adults are gone. She is still really itchy though. Will this last much longer for her? Also does it take a month for the pupae or whatever to hatch? If they hatched before the month is over then I'm assuming the advantage won't still be working so why is it a monthly thing?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

There can still be fleas that you just don't see, but yes the flea allergy from bites can last a few days... if the itching is still really bad (ie scratching/chewing themselves raw) then maybe consider a vet visit for an injection to help with immediate relief. Remember: all current fleas on your pet may be gone, but they may be being exposed to, reinfested and/or bit by new fleas from the environment trying to hitch a ride so even if they aren't physically on your pet anymore, they may be hopping on, biting, and dying... which causes itching to start all over again.

The pupae can lie dormant for MONTHS before hatching. It's a survivability tactic if conditions aren't favorable for hatching. That's why its important to keep your pets on a preventative for a few months consecutively as well as adamantly cleaning your household for a few months. The advantage works throughout the month; it isn't like a dewormer that gets rid of all current pests and then you get reinfested as the month goes on. If a new flea jumps on them at the end of the month, the product should still work to kill them. Granted, the percentage of effectiveness starts to decline the closer you get to the end of the month and I dont know what it is specifically with Advantage but it should still, theoretically, work.

facebook

Is there any way you could give your niece flea collars for her cats or something so her kittens don't continually reinfect your dogs? If they don;t treat their cats fleas, the cats will be uncomfortable, and their own home can become infested, of course. I'd avoid visiting there if I knew the cats had untreated fleas. I agree, it is just irresponsible of them.
    I've Been Frosted

I wouldn't even be surprised if I got them a flea collar that they wouldn't use it. They don't seem to think it's a problem she (my niece) was laughing at my mom when she was telling them to treat their cats. I don't have any extra cash right now anyway. I just started a new job, maybe after I a few checks I can try that.

Zeke has an appt tom at the vet. (because he seemed extra itchy but I guess I know why now lol) Still taking him though because he has raw patches and seems really uncomfortable I hope they can give him something other then the steroid type stuff that just makes him pee all over the place. It never seems to work well for itching...

bump

One one's histamine level is up, one can stay itchy for days after the initial whatever it was that caused it is over, as the immune system is in hyperdrive.

I say that as an allergic human. I have been told most people's mosquito bites don't
    a) swell up to 1/4" or more across and turn hot pink or
    b) still itch a couple days later, but that's my body for ya!

Hopefully it will subside.

Do you want me to ask the vets about this on Friday's radio show?
    I've Been Frosted

Have you treated the house, yard, their bedding etc?

Some dogs just have flea allergies. Harri does, we keep on top of treating everyone though and making sure bedding and stuff is always clean. If he gets realy bad then it is off to the vets.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I washed all the bedding, vacuumed the floors etc.

Karen, if you don't mind I'd appreciate hearing what they have to say!

As previously mentioned, one bite can cause it to flare up. All it takes is one bite. So if there are still fleas in the environment, and/or there is still exposure to fleas (from the cats?), there is a good chance that, eventhough you're using preventative and there are no live fleas on your pets, that a flea from the environment is jumping on the dog, biting, then dying/jumping off because of the preventative.

It will take a few months to completely clear the environment from a flea infestation due to the life cycle of the flea, and the fact that the pupae can lie dormant for months. That's why vigorous vacuuming and bathing of bedding is instrumental for getting rid of infestations. In the meantime, more eggs are hatching, and they're looking for a host until they jump on your dog, bite it, causing allergies, and hopefully dying before laying eggs.

You mentioned wanting to go to your vet, but did you take them? Just curious to know what their treatment was. In our pets we will usually give a steroid injection for immediate relief... but you mentioned you didn't like the side-effects. Maybe they can give a different steroid, or a lower dose? Assuming you haven't been to the vet or they haven't already treated them.

Honestly, if they're still THIS itchy after being to the vet, I would call the vet back and say they're still miserable even after treatment, what else can you do to help relieve their symptoms?

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    As previously mentioned, one bite can cause it to flare up. All it takes is one bite. So if there are still fleas in the environment, and/or there is still exposure to fleas (from the cats?), there is a good chance that, eventhough you're using preventative and there are no live fleas on your pets, that a flea from the environment is jumping on the dog, biting, then dying/jumping off because of the preventative.

It will take a few months to completely clear the environment from a flea infestation due to the life cycle of the flea, and the fact that the pupae can lie dormant for months. That's why vigorous vacuuming and bathing of bedding is instrumental for getting rid of infestations. In the meantime, more eggs are hatching, and they're looking for a host until they jump on your dog, bite it, causing allergies, and hopefully dying before laying eggs.

You mentioned wanting to go to your vet, but did you take them? Just curious to know what their treatment was. In our pets we will usually give a steroid injection for immediate relief... but you mentioned you didn't like the side-effects. Maybe they can give a different steroid, or a lower dose? Assuming you haven't been to the vet or they haven't already treated them.

Honestly, if they're still THIS itchy after being to the vet, I would call the vet back and say they're still miserable even after treatment, what else can you do to help relieve their symptoms?
    I did take my other dog to the vet. She gave him some type of wipes. I've never heard of them before. I think she said it's something new they're tying. He has a lot of sore spots that are raw now and the skin is really irritated. I'm not really sure yet if it's helping him. As for Clover she said to try the reactine, but so far it hasn't been helping.

Audrey, I will email you the audio files for the show when I get them, the two vets went into far too much for me to be able to take note. But as for Zeke still being itchy, he did mention some dogs are like me, and will continue to be itchy for days - some even weeks after the initial bite. Just make sure he's not chewing so much he gets an infection, if there's continued hair missing, you have to worry about that, and maybe bring out the "Collar of Shame" for a while.
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen

It's funny, he asked if I had ever had poison ivy, and I said, "No, but mosquito bites itch for me days after I get them," and he said it's the exact same phenomenon.
    I've Been Frosted

The do itch for a while but I thought by now the itching should have died down a little

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    The do itch for a while but I thought by now the itching should have died down a little
    Some of us have immune systems that stay on hyper-alert longer than others, which is why we itch long after everyone else has stopped. It can be maddening, but less so when we understand it. I got into the habit of NEVER scratching skin that itches, as that just seems to prolong it!
    I've Been Frosted