Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The FLU

The FLU

Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu??? Yup - it's keeping me company this week. Glad this appears to be a mild case tho - I've had a whole lot worse. And of course I didn't get a flu shot this year, and I normally ALWAYS do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, my sympathies. I got my flu shot this year, as I do every year, so have not had it, thank goodness. I only ever had it once, caught it on my way out of the hospital from brain survey many years ago, so I thought some of the misery was just part of my recovery process until I went to get my stitches out, and the resident who removed them said, "No, you have the flu!" like I should have known that!
    I've Been Frosted

Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.

No, I havent had the flu but I had cough, sore throat, laryngitis and a few days later I had pneumonia diagnosed on 12.25.12 (sick as a dog as the saying goes) and stayed 3.5 days in hospital. Just today for the first time in weeks I felt halfway normal. Take care of yourself.

Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu???
    YES, that's the one!! Would like to say I'm glad I'm not suffering alone, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Taking care of the dogs is interesting too.

Sad part - I had the flu shot, but my doctor says this is one not covered....great. Not sure the cure isn't worse than the disease. That Tamiflu is mean stuff.

Now SO has it. He'll start his Tamiflu and cough syrup today when he picks it up.

Sorry to hear your part of this epidemic, it doesn't sound very fun at all. Feel better soon!

I am being forced to get my Flu shot today thanks to Good Ol' Mom. -__- Not terribly excited about it, she always sneakily plans these things. According to her, it's more of a concern because I have a heart condition.

Stay away from me!

I hesitate to go out to the store on a whim, knowing that each time I enter the germ zone, I am putting myself at risk. I did have a flu shot, earlier this year. I have never had the flu and I am in my 60's. I can't believe I haven't been exposed to it. Maybe I am just lucky.

They claim the secret to this game is to wash your hands repeatedly and to keep you hands away from your nose, eyes and mouth.

When I worked in an office, I would walk around with antibacterial swipe/wipes and wipe off the copier, light switches, desk tops, phones etc. and I always kept sick people out of my space.

If you are sick, stay home or at least keep to yourself at work.

I know that my Mom is always at risk so if I am not feeling well, I will not visit her at her nursing facility. The flu goes through that place like a wild fire. They keep the temperature at 80 degrees it seems and they all still wear sweaters and have lap blankets on themselves all the time. Drives me crazy to see it all, but maybe I will become cold when I get old.

So for all those folks with the flu, stay home, rest, take care, drink lots of fluid and go to the doctor if you are not feeling better in a few days. People do die from the flu, so it is important to keep it to yourself while you are taking care of yourself.

There is always Pet Talk to hang out on..... and surfing the net.....watching TV.....reading.....knitting....sleeping..... and then go back to work.

Hugs and get well wishes to the ill ones!

Sas and her campers

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

There is always Pet Talk to hang out on..... and surfing the net.....watching TV.....reading.....knitting....sleeping..... .
    Retired - so that's my everyday routine anyway.

I've had the flu a few times in my 60+ years, and this one isn't all that bad, at least not compared to the Asian Flu that I had when a senior in h.s. That was so horrible that I wished I would just die so that I would feel better. Yes - it was that bad !

I have a routine doctor appointment tomorrow anyway, so maybe he'll end up prescribing something for me to feel better. I need something to improve my mood most of all. I can't believe how crabby and grumpy I am and I don't even like myself the past few days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I know I'm normally one of those people who will try to work through being sick. Not that I was tempted this time, but the doctor told me that "your co-workers do NOT want you there". I don't have the energy to get cleaned up to go to work so it's not even an option.

When other people are sick in my office, I'll go clean their desk, keyboard and chairs with germ killing wipes (I wear rubber gloves) and spray the area with germ killer. Then I'll go to the bathroom and scrub my hands. Hope someone returns the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    When other people are sick in my office, I'll go clean their desk, keyboard and chairs with germ killing wipes (I wear rubber gloves) and spray the area with germ killer. Then I'll go to the bathroom and scrub my hands. Hope someone returns the favor.
    Sounds like what I used to do! I was one of the few people doing so though. I didn't get sick all that often. I also am a believer in hand washing....big time.

Oh well. Germs are germs. Can't avoid them.

Get well soon!

Blog Entries
    I cannot believe that I am in this club too I can barely function. Cleaning the cat litter however is THE WORST. Gotta be done, have not projectile vommited in the litterbox yet. I deserve an award Sicker than a dog fer sure...yuck

Oh, Mon, our sympathies!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Thak-you!

I hope that everyone gets better soon. Please take care and rest as much as possible.

I've been getting flu shots every year for many many years now so I haven't had the flu in a long time. Last year I did get a very bad cold which then turned into a long lingering cough that would keep me up all night. I did end up continuing to go to work even though I felt horrible. Mainly because we were so busy at work and also because my boss thinks that unless we're dead we should go to work. I hope to be able to remain healthy this year.