Thread: dobie problems

Blog Entries

dobie problems

help help we got a rescue dobie 3 months ago he was very very thin we got him healthy but his spirt is broken does not act like a dobie i have to tell him its ok to eat an to go outside he is very smart timid an skiddish if people come over to visit he shows no interest just laid back on couch is there any hope for this dog
    Last edited by titan; 12-28-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Definitely there is hope for him. It is good that he is beginning to trust you, in that he will listen when you speak, and tell him to do things. Three months is not much time at all, and you are already making progress. Have you thought of taking an obedience class with him? It is not to correct any disobedience or anything, but just something to help you and he gain confidence with each other, and with the rest of the world. His intelligence means he is going to be a bit slower to trust likely, as he is remembering all the bad experiences in his past, and waiting for them to happen again. Getting a dog mentally healthy can take a lot longer, but will be very much worth it.

How old is he?

If he will accept one (may be too soon for it) give him a belly rub from me, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Why on earth would you even consider putting him down???? - because he's laid back and not ferocious? If you want a dog that is more aggressive, perhaps you should should rehome him with someone who would appreciate his more docile nature, and then find yourself a dog more to your liking if you aren't willing to work with this one. But put him down????? - I'm stunned that anyone would consider that option!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

How old is he, and do you know more about his background?

I agree with both of the above. He just needs time to adjust to live as a pampered pet. Taking a class with him would be a great thing to help build his confidence levels!

Put down?! Whyever for?! If you are not willing to work with him, I am sure the Rescue requires that you return him to them.

Blog Entries

ok ok i get the putting him down thing

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Why on earth would you even consider putting him down???? - because he's laid back and not ferocious? If you want a dog that is more aggressive, perhaps you should should rehome him with someone who would appreciate his more docile nature, and then find yourself a dog more to your liking if you aren't willing to work with this one. But put him down????? - I'm stunned that anyone would consider that option!
    just was thinking of ending his suffering an his flash backs but he has formed a bond with my grandson so iam going to do what ever to help him i dont know what to do i need help with him he loves me an my grandson but he just doesnt act like a dog i have to tell him to go outside to potty i have to tell him its ok to eat we have a lot of love an understanding for him but just dont have the exp to help him we do love him just need a resorce for him to get help iam not a dog shrink

I am glad he is bonding with yourself and your grandson. Get to the library and you can pick up any basic dog training book, and you and your grandson can both work with him and help teach him things. Even learning simple commands like "sit" and " down" will help him, as he will be praised and rewarded. Walks on a leash, even short ones, will also help build his confidence with the world around him. Love, patience, and learning will all help him recover from his past and become the great dog he was always meant to be.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries

from titan

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Definitely there is hope for him. It is good that he is beginning to trust you, in that he will listen when you speak, and tell him to do things. Three months is not much time at all, and you are already making progress. Have you thought of taking an obedience class with him? It is not to correct any disobedience or anything, but just something to help you and he gain confidence with each other, and with the rest of the world. His intelligence means he is going to be a bit slower to trust likely, as he is remembering all the bad experiences in his past, and waiting for them to happen again. Getting a dog mentally healthy can take a lot longer, but will be very much worth it.

How old is he?

If he will accept one (may be too soon for it) give him a belly rub from me, okay?
    thank you for the imput i think he is 4 or 5 years old not sure but i really really need a support with him iam lost what to do for him iam not a doggy shrink thanks

Blog Entries

titan

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I am glad he is bonding with yourself and your grandson. Get to the library and you can pick up any basic dog training book, and you and your grandson can both work with him and help teach him things. Even learning simple commands like "sit" and " down" will help him, as he will be praised and rewarded. Walks on a leash, even short ones, will also help build his confidence with the world around him. Love, patience, and learning will all help him recover from his past and become the great dog he was always meant to be.
    he has been trained i just dont know the commands like getting a laptop with out the passwords i dont know the commands that were taught him before he was abused

Start from the beginning like he was a new pup--- never mind what commands he knows, he'll get used to yours in no time if you show him what you want. Besides, all basic commands are the same for every dog - sit, stay, down, stand , come, heel etc etc. Sounds like a pretty good dog to me, Dobes that can be trusted the way he puts his trust in you aren't found every day. Sounds like the perfect dog to me.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I am glad you care enough to want to help your dog. What is his name? Sometimes people just try too hard to "bend" the dog
    to suit some ideal to their own liking.Not a good idea really. Dogs are very perceptive, they can sense unease in a person & then they
    feel uneasy. If you relax more when you are around him,take a cue from your grandson,don't try too hard & then get frustrated.

Sounds like he could be a very sweet & well mannered dog, given a chance to to learn. Give him a chance to see you as a relaxed &
    confident person & he will notice and respond in kind.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt