Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once upon a time on Pet Talk

Once upon a time on Pet Talk

Just was thinking of Pet Talkers we have lost over the years, and miss this time of year.

Today's Pet of the Day reminded me of Corinna, a wonderful, caring lady, and friend to many. She used to have Angora rabbits, and would spin yarn from their fur. There are Pet Talk families who have quilts she made, sewn together from squares people sent in. Her beloved grand baby is growing up, and I hope her family is telling how much Corinna would have loved her.

That also made me think of others, Sammi - whose given name was Molly, a wonderful lady from North Dakota who was at the first Pet Talk gathering in Texas. She was a petite lady, Harley rider, great friend to dogs, and loved her Labs very much.

And of course Randi's Jonza, his many posts and threads of cat adventures, and his intelligence and sense of humor are missed.

And Phred, whose remaining dogs are safely living out their lives with Diana (Four Dog Mom), but who posts in Cinder and Smoke's "voices" made us all smile, laugh, and sometimes cry. Phone calls with him were also treasured. He cared so very much for so many Pet Talkers, and was a stalwart, thoughtful member, and organizer of the Findlay gatherings. And firefighters everywhere have a fonder spot in all our hearts because of him. He retained his sense of humor through it all. And I am sure is having a grand time, trading stories with all the members above listed.

And this fall, we lost, quite suddenly, Daisy and Delilah's mom, Terry. It's still hard to remember she isn't just away from the board for a few days, but has joined the gabfest up past the Rainbow Bridge. I have her address in my list for Christmas cards still, and had to not send one, which gave me pause. Every year, the song I think of as their "theme song" - the old pop tune "Fire" - which in my brain got adapted long ago to "Romeo and Juliet, Daisy and Delilah ...."" still popped into my head when I got to that spot in the list.

There are many holiday memories involving all of them, and other memories I just thought I'd start a place to share them if anyone would like to add their own. And memories of others - even non-Pet Talkers - just once upon a time stories - are of course welcome.

I have the urge to bake Stollen, gingerbread (not the cookies, the cake), and get roll dough going, thanks, Ma, and Grandma!
    I've Been Frosted

I enjoyed talking the Phred the few times he called, and we still have the kitty mugs Corinna sent us one christmas.

If you're going to toss out gingerbread (dittos the thanks to Gramma Peterson) you have to toss in the one allowable use for cool whip, which is to top the said gingerbread.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

What a great thread! Phred helped me replace my first fire extinguisher, which I received as a housewarming gift, after it "aged out". He told me to take it to the local fire station for disposal and gave me instructions on how to replace it with a better one.

I was at the supermarket yesterday. At the front of the store they have a display of "Holiday Items". On the top shelf - bottles of clam juice, which is forever linked to Phred in my mind
    http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthre...ferrerid=14351

Karen, I'm going to think of Terry every time I hear that disco song now! Romeo and Juliet ... Daisy and Delilah ...
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Great thread, Karen. I only "knew" Terry, and not the others, and felt honored that she called me "friend". My only regret is that I never got to meet her in person. She was such a lovely, caring and kind soul, and I miss her presence here. She will never be forgotten.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Great thread, Karen.
    I didn't know any of the PT'ers mentioned here all that well... but it still saddens me that they are no longer with us.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

For those who didn't know Phred, but would like to, here's one of his iconic threads/stories Cinder wants to keep the Stray she found
    I've Been Frosted

I knew Phredd, I just wasn't close to Phredd.
    Thanks for the link to that thread, it's a great heartwarming read. I remember reading that and of how Phredd came to keep Bowser, who was the childhood pet of another Pt member but had been living with her grandfather (is that right?). Phredd was such a good man.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Phred's posts were the first thing that brought me to PetTalk. I'll always remember him. He was a great guy.

I miss a lot of the older members and hope to renew my aquaintances with those still around. I've been gone for a while, but still think of everyone.

Mary

Pet Talk is a wonderful place we can all call home. Thank you Karen and Paul!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Phred has been on my mind lately too. Here is a pic of him with Cinder and Smokey also of a Christmas card he sent me.

No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got in contact with Phred first when Filou started to be in renal failure-he sent me all the threads about Boots who had passed away from the same disease.
    And of course I will never forget having met Jonza-what a special man! Both their threads are pieces of literature, about as good as the web can go.
    These people are part of my life.... Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    I knew Phredd, I just wasn't close to Phredd.
    Thanks for the link to that thread, it's a great heartwarming read. I remember reading that and of how Phredd came to keep Bowser, who was the childhood pet of another Pt member but had been living with her grandfather (is that right?). Phredd was such a good man.
    Kind of. Bowser never belonged to me - he was always my grandpa's dog. I didn't get to see either much, just during vacations. I did get to see/play with Bowser as a pup though and have a few pictures of him growing up, too.

Of those mentioned, I knew Phred the best. Staci and I talk of him and "blame" things on him frequently. ("Blame" as in the dog that keeps running away from it's owner and showing up on my door step is probably his handiwork. He always thought I needed a dog. Lol)

I often think of Wanda and Ritzy. "Everything's better with a Ritzy on it... or in it."

13. Thank you zippy for mentioning Wanda and Ritz! Debbie and I had dinner with her - she was delightful - as was John aka Jonza. We visited Munich and Barbara and Siegmar with him, Randi, and Vio.

Phred and I talked on the phone on a rescue attempt in 2002 and corresponded often.

So many memories!

People tend to forget that holidays are sometimes sad reminders of what we lost, but in light of all that, we must remember that NONE of these members would want us to be sad.

I "knew" Phred and Corinna, but not very well. I remember reading about Bowser though, that's how I originally joined. It pretty much inspired me to join, I suppose.

I LOVED chatting with Terry, she LOVED my Sassy and welcomed me with open arms, she was soooo sweet and so genuine. She loved dogs and people alike and she always always always had something nice to say, something to donate, prayers and thoughts. I thought of her the other day actually, I miss her a lot. Her posts were great.

Yes, Tonya, thanks for mentioning Wanda and Ritzie - I think of her, of course, whenever I pass the display of her crackers at the supermarket! I knew there was someone I wasn't remembered when I typed it, thanks!
    I've Been Frosted