Thread: Chronic colitis help

Chronic colitis help

Autumn has had the runs for over a month now. She went to the vet and he diagnosed her with colitis. He gave me metronidazole to give her which cleared up her farting and made her poo not smell terrible anymore, but it made it even more liquid. I've tried all sorts of things, fasting her for a day, rice, pumpkin, pepto. Nothing has worked. I even gave her a knuckle bone to grind down because she usually has rock solid poop after chewing one. The vet thinks its allergies so we're changing her to salmon and potato food. Honestly, he thinks all animals have allergies I swear. She doesn't so much as chew her feet or scratch or anything. I don't know what else I can try. Any tips?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Time to start with one food at a time. If potato works and goes down (and comes out) okay, feed that for a couple days, before adding salmon. Then feed those together for a couple days, and if she is okay, you can try the "salmon and potato" food which likely has other ingredients. It is slow, and not very exciting, but the only real way to figure out what her allergy is, if she has some.

I have been there myself.
    I've Been Frosted

My Snoopy (beagle) has IBS and with several medications we were able to control any further IBS attacks. The food I put him on is Lamb and Rice formula. I used Taste Of Wild for a long time until it got to expensive and I changed to Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice. I swear by Lamb as the meat. It's been two years (knock on wood) since Snoopy's last IBS attack. If the fish and potato doesnt work I'd try the Lamb as a meat ingredient in the food. Good Luck
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I gave her a bowl of plain mashed potatos for breakfast. Still pooping liquid. Luckily she isn't having any other symptoms like throwing up or lethargy or not wanting to eat or drink. I hope those are good signs. Honestly though, when I gave her rice with a sponful of pumpkin for a week she had no change either. I don't really know that I believe its food related.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I gave her a bowl of plain mashed potatos for breakfast. Still pooping liquid. Luckily she isn't having any other symptoms like throwing up or lethargy or not wanting to eat or drink. I hope those are good signs. Honestly though, when I gave her rice with a sponful of pumpkin for a week she had no change either. I don't really know that I believe its food related.
    I would go for a second opinion. It sure doesnt sound like food related issues to me.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm gonna bring her back but since its the holidays I figure I won't get an appointment for a few days.

Sounds like you have tried most of the food ideas so a second visit to the vet is the best course. My vet always recommended plain rice, low/no fat cottage cheese and grated carrot for a couple of days if Louie had an upset stomach. The purpose was to clean out his system. It worked for me but then these were usually just isolated incidents.
    Hope Autumn improves soon. It can't be pleasant for her or you.

Great news! Autumn has been going mostly solid since christmas. She's had the runs maybe once or twice but is mostly improving. I swear only a pet owner would want to hang a banner up on their door that says "hooray for solid poop" but I would if I had one.

I'm sorry to hear that she's been having diarrhea problems but I'm glad to now hear that she's doing much better. I was also going to say that you should get a second opinion. I don't have a dog but my RB cat Starr was diagnosed with both Colitis and IBD. I tried so many different kinds of cat foods but nothing seemed to work. He ended up having to be put on prednisolone for the rest of his life which unfortunately made him gain too much weight. Hopefully Autumn won't need to be put on any kind of drugs and you'll be able to control her problem with diet. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.