Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: May be losing my only means of transportation. Prayers PLEASE!!!

May be losing my only means of transportation. Prayers PLEASE!!!

Would you please keep me in your prayers?
    I learned today that our public transportion bus will be shutting down in the spring unless they get a miracle. Budget cuts!! That is my only way of getting around town now. It is really a matter of life and death for me and my cats.

Seems the state ok'd a grant to help fund the program for another year but the bus has to come up with about 30% or something.

I called the city manager and yelled at him. After all, he bought a golf course, skate park and new swimming pool for our town. That bus is vital to so many of us. He told me the city has nothing to do with the bus.

So, I needed to call the county commissioner. She is currently out of town but had told the bus people to have everyone call the city manager.

So, I wrote a nice long letter to the editor of our paper explaining that the bus is not a convience but a matter of life or death for so many of us. I asked what were were supposed to do: die and reduce the surplus population like Scrooge suggested. Plus, I gave them some budget tips and sent it. Also that I knew there was a solution to this problem and would someone help us find the answer?

I got a call a bit ago and the paper is going to run my letter.
    I am so hoping it lights a fire under some people to do something. I honestly will die without that bus. So will all of my cats.

We live in a town of around 8500. There are no taxi cabs or other means of transport except driving.
    I am almost in panic mode.
    xoxoxoxo
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Don't panic, between your letter and all the prayers of Pet Talk, a solution will come forth! We promise!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Here in Delaware this issue is addressed in a couple of different ways. In the urban areas they have what is called a Senior Surrey that takes elderly to doctor appointments or the mall or wherever it is they need to go. The state also has mini buses for those that live outside of the urban areas or live in rural areas, but you have to meet qualifications to be able to ride these - such as being disabled, etc. I qualified for this after I had my spinal cord injury, but fortunately I recovered to be able to drive my own car again.

Perhaps you could add something like these to your suggestions to the powers that be. I certainly hope that they re-think this whole issue and realize just how much some people are dependent on a bus service such as you have now. Keep hollering - and loudly too. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm sorry to hear that Connie. The public transit in Indy also goes begging for money yearly despite the many people
    who depend on it for getting around to work or shopping, etc. Somehow after much fuss every year, the transit gets the money
    and peace reigns again. Could your brother help in finding a good used car so you'll be able to go shopping when needed?
    Prayers going out for a solution to the problem soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Another idea is, call the clergy at all your local churches and ask them to also weigh in on the subject in the media. Public transportation cuts disproportionally affect the elderly, the disabled and the poor - all constituents pastors, priest and rabbis deal with, and want to help.
    I've Been Frosted

That's a good idea Karen.

Lizbud, I'm not sure I can even still drive a car. my health is so much worse than it was 6 years ago and I had trouble then. I won't get behind a wheel unless I am absolutley sure it would be safe for not only me but everyone else on the road I'd pass. My brother is having major problems of hi own right now so can't help out. Or maybe get a lawmower with a tiny cart behind it to drive down the roads to get groceries. Believe it or not, there are some poor fellows who do that.

I am hoping that letter to the editor will stir some people up too.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    That's a good idea Karen.

Lizbud, I'm not sure I can even still drive a car. my health is so much worse than it was 6 years ago and I had trouble then. I won't get behind a wheel unless I am absolutley sure it would be safe for not only me but everyone else on the road I'd pass. My brother is having major problems of hi own right now so can't help out. Or maybe get a lawmower with a tiny cart behind it to drive down the roads to get groceries. Believe it or not, there are some poor fellows who do that.

I am hoping that letter to the editor will stir some people up too.

I understand the health issues. I ain't gettin any younger myself. I hope your letter & hopefully others, will spur some positive action.
    We can pray until then.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Prayers for you, Connie, and all the other citizens in your area who depend on the buses completely for transport both routine and emergency. May the letter writing and calling of officials lead to public pressure for action on this vital matter.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Praying for you! And good for you for writing a letter!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers coming. There is a way! HUGZ
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks so much for the prayers and support. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

That's outrageous! But Connie, knowing how well you write, I'm sure your letter will make a difference. Keep the pressure on them and get others to protest, also.

Good luckl!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Like you, I depend on the bus to get to work and get around in general so I completely understand your anger and frustration. It seems like we're always being told to use public transportation then fares go up, routes are cancelled, and the drivers have no idea of what a schedule means. If there's a petition about this, please let us know - I'll sign in a heartbeat! The prayers are already being prayed. If there's ANYTHING we can do to help this cause, let us know.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

My letter to the editor is out

Just got a call from a guy who works with our senior center here. He thanked me for my letter to the editor. He is working with the bus people too trying to get the funding. He said it was one of the best letters ever and is going to keep it.

He is getting a list of the businesses in town to give to our city manager to see about donations.
    It is so nice to have an ally in this battle. I feel lots more positive now.

He did ask for prayers so please keep them coming.
    I thank you again for them.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie