Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fister's throat felt normal, the vet said

Yes, maybe Fister is getting used to being waited on a bit - and why not?

Prayers and good thoughts for your handsome orange boy.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

If it is Fister's thyroid, he will be just fine. Mac was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid a couple of months ago and the meds (not totally inexpensive, but affordable) keep him fit, happy, and still ruling the roost in my house. You'd never know he is 15 and has a thyroid disorder. I am sending best wishes to dear Fister! Keep eating and drinking well, Sweetie. That will keep your Meowmie from worrying too much.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Randi, how is Fister doing meanwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thanks Candace. Just now, he ate a little more K/D and when I put a glass of water under his nose, he drank. Perhaps he just wants it all served in bed.
    LOL. Sometimes Sam will not eat unless I hand-feed him. Spoiled Rotten!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

This is just a thought but has the vet checked Fister's eye sight? I have to keep Grandma's water bowl in the exact same place or she can't find it. She can smell her food but I keep it in the same place too. Sometimes though, I still have to stick it right up to her nose before she knows it's there. The smellier the food the better she eats.

She was almost blind before I even knew there was a problem. Of course, she is an old girl now.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moff, I have thought about that, too, and have checked by moving a finger in front of his eyes. It looks like he can see. The vet did check his eyes and ears, too - and his heartbeat. He has never has his temperature taken, though.

I suppose the next step will be to have him X-rayed, I hope it's not expensive, but I will live on porridge if I have to.

I keep giving him Whiskas pouches with Gelé and extra water. I pour a bit in when I have boiled a kettle for tea.

He did drink a little bit this afternoon, when I sat with a glass of fresh cold water under his nose, but it took a few minutes before he did.

Will give him another pill to boost his appetite in a minute - and parhaps a painkiller, to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you, again!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, I think perhaps Fister is getting moisture from his food now and doesn't so much extra. Ebby has a mixture of both types of food, one tray of wet and a bowlful of dry and when I give her fresh water - once a day- her water bowl is usually still a quarter full, sometimes more.

Also, though I know perhaps dogs are different, before I put Alfie on a purely wet food diet he used to drink quite a lot of water but now he doesn't drink much at all, plus I recently had occasion to add dry food to the wet for a short while and he was drinking quite a lot again.

Chris, I know, but he is getting so skinny. I must get him to eat more - and drink. I hate to force it down his throat.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I can see how that would be worrying, what does the vet say about the weight loss?

Chris, he didn't say anything, I guess he has to do more tests to tell what's going on. I had hoped to find out from those tests he already had, because I hate not knowing - and it's such a hassle getting him to the vet.

Do you have confidence in the vet? There is one in the practice I go to that I have no faith in at all, I hate it when she is the one on duty.

I know what you mean about a hassle, same for me with my two.

Prayers and good thoughts for your golden boy and big hugs for you.

Forgive me if I missed this, but have they tried giving Vitamin B injections??? At my previous clinic, very very commonly with older cats who were otherwise in decent health but just didn't seem to want to eat we would have come in for Vitamin B injections. They would usually perk up right away. Some needed to come in every few weeks for another injection, some didn't need more than a few rounds of it. Maybe you've mentioned this or maybe your vet has already thought about this so sorry if I missed it, just thought it warranted mentioning in case this was something you haven't tried yet

facebook

Mac was down to skin and bones when he was tested for hyperthyroid. I can guess that that is not Fister's problem judging by his test results, but the vet (I love my vet!) gave Mac some appetite stimulating pills and they really worked! Within 24 hours, Mac was eating and drinking everything in sight! He had actually stopped eating at all, so it was a relief to see him gobble up all of his food! Is Fister on any appetite pills? If he is, maybe the Vitamin B would work to get him eating and drinking and putting on some weight. It can be difficult to keep weight on older cats.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Chris, I do have confidence in the vet, he has always been very nice and honest. However, he doesn't have so much time to talk as in the beginning. You get 20 min. for a consultation. There's a new woman vet there, also. She has seen Fister two times and I like her, too.

Concerning B-vitamins, I asked about that and I honestly don't remember what he said, but I bring it up again. Is it possible to get the B-vitamins as pills, rather than injections?

This is the vet's homepage, there is a picture of both of them: http://blaagaard-dyreklinik.dk/om-os/

Fister ate a little wet food this morning with extra water in, like usual and when he comes out for his brushing, I will give him his pill. At least he likes to be brushed. I have this rubber brush that I wash with a nailbrush every day, and when I come in with that, he comes out from wherever he is.

Randi, I THINK you can get them in pill form; however, I am not as familiar with that form in cats. Like you said, it may be something you talk to your vet about again at the next trip. I just know that we've had success using it in kitties.

facebook