Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fister's throat felt normal, the vet said

Fister's throat felt normal, the vet said

I'm worried about Fister.

Do any of you know about throat problems in cats, because I checked him again and felt something inside his throat. I usually rub him there to make him swallow his pills, even though he gets only a quarter of a small pill. He always liked to be rubbed on his throat and he didn't protest when I checked him. There's something inside his throat, which I'm not sure should be there. It's not round... it's difficult to describe.

He hasn't been drinking for almost a week now, but eats Whiskas wet food with gelé with extra water in. Today I thought I'd try Temptations, which he loves, so I put 5 pieces in a bowl with some water, and he licked it all up. I know it's not the most healthy food, but it made him drink.

He doesn't seem to in pain and he walks around and jumps up in the window now and again, which has easy access - and he loves to cuddle with me. Yesterday, he tried to jump up on my desk, but it was too high for him.

I will of course call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment to get him tested, but if any of you have an idea what could wrong, I'd appreciate your advice.
    Last edited by Randi; 12-19-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: adding text

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Could it be his thyroid gland?

Hope the vet will find out what is wrong, and can help.

Of course I have not the slightest idea but I am sending alll my best thoughts for you and Fister.

There's lots of "stuff" in that area, it could by swollen gland, like people sometimes get if they are sick, or something like that. Let us know what the vet says!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers on the way for you both!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayers and warm healing energies and good wishes are being sent for Fister and you, Randi, that the vet figures this out and fixes it up.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

If it is something like a painless polyp he might have trouble swallowing - and maybe that is why he went off his food and water.

Prayers that this is figured out and Fister gets better!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers...waiting for news....
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I was also thinking thyroid. Do let us know what the vet says.

Higher up would be the lymph nodes; mid-neck may be the thyroid.

Cats very commonly can have thyroid issues; however, it's normally hyperthyroid, which causes an increase in hunger/thirst with weight loss. That doesn't really fit the bill of what you're describing.

It could also be a mass.

Glad you're taking him in... please keep us updated.

facebook

Fister you poor baby - this cannot be fun for you or your mommy.
    All our paws are crossed for some good news at the white coats.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

I'm so sorry to hear this. I sure hope that it's nothing serious. Maybe he just has a sore throat and it's inflamed.

In Feb. of this year, both Alani & Blaze got very sick and my vet ended up diagnosing them with a laryngeal (sp?) infection. They did have coughs though and both of them stopped eating because they had very sore throats. I still don't know how they got this but luckily it was treatable. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are going out to Fister. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Any news on Fister by now, Randi? Has he seen his vet?

His throat felt normal

This morning I got up and called the vet, managed to get an appointment at 11:40 and I borrowed a pram, from the people upstairs. Luckily, it was not raining at the time I went.

Well, Fister has lost 1,7 kg since February. He had the normal tests done and also a T4 test, which I won't get the result on immediately. I think they're being done in Germany. The other results he promised to ring about, but he hasn't yet. In 2006, his weight was 7,5 kg. now it's 5,9 kg.

The vet checked Fister thoroughly, also his gums. He had a couple of tetth extracted in February and a cleaning, and the vet could not see any problems there, or anywhere else. except for the weight loss. What I felt in his throat was supposed to be there. He also told me that if cats are dehydrated, you can usually see it on their gums, but his was fine.

I entice him all the time to eat and drink, that means I throw half of it out and serve new portions in a new clean dish. That way, I made him eat a bit more Whiskas wet yesterday. I also did somehting I thought was really smart... I had got some Temptations, which he loves, so I put 5 pieces in bowl with water and he licked it all up! There was 3 pieces left, so I filled more water in and he licked that up, too.

This morning, I saw him drink out his glass for the first time in a week, just a little, though. So now, I really hope he will perk up! Will keep giving him the appetite booster.

Btw, when we came back from the vet, I let him out of his box downstairs, so he walked up to the flat himself.

Hopefully, Fister will be OK, but if not, I will stay home with him and don't go eat with my family on Christmas Eve.

Will let you know when I get the results. Please keep sending positive thoughts to him.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Positive thoughts and prayers going to Fister. Hopefully it may be thyroid and can be treated with a pill.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda