Thread: I feel awful..

I feel awful..

I had just gotten back into my town from driving to NYC tonight. We had a fun day and went to see all the Christmas sights. I was dropping my friend off on her block and we saw a dog by itself on the side of the road. I always stop when I encounter this because I'd want the same thing done for my dog. I stopped the car but my friend was like "that dog lives there, he's probably out with his owners" so I kept driving. I dropped her off and drove back up the block, I saw a car and this guy trying to get the dog. So apparently the dog didn't live there. A guy had stopped to try and get the dog. I couldn't turn around, this is a very busy road, so I went to a different block and did so, and by the time I got there, the dog had gotten hit by a car. The guy stopped and he was really upset. He asked me if I was the owner, but I said no and he said the dog kept running so I went to check some neighborhoods to see if I could find the dog. There were people looking with flashlights but I don't think anyone could have found him.

I feel so bad, if I had just stopped, he could still be okay. He may not have gotten hit. I know this isn't the kind of post you want to read on here but I just can't get it out of my head. My friend said later that she thought he looked like he was dragging his back legs when we first saw him, but I thought he was going to the bathroom or something...that's what it looked like to me.

I am so upset, I should've just helped him to begin with. I would want the same for Mikey or any of my dogs.

It is not your fault. Hopefully someone found him, and were able to get him to a vet.
    I've Been Frosted

You say it is a busy road. You have to be sure you are not in danger, and not creating a dangerous situation, before you can reach out to help another. In the end, you had to go over a block and walk back. Anything could have happened, at any time, including while you were working on setting a foundation for a safe attempt to help the dog. So don't sweat the timing not at all.

Sure hope that doggie gets some help. I think the worst part is that you may never know what happens.

Many times there's not much we can do to save a animal on the street. You were trying Alyssa. Don't be too hard on yourself. (hugs)
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Hugs and you don't know that he may have bolted when you drove up sorry you had to experience that.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I still feel horrible about it. He was probably horrified if he kept running away, and he probably would have been a bit aggressive if he was hurt. People keep telling me I did more than anyone else would have but I still feel like I could have helped. My mom was mad at me for stopping on the busy road. It's probably the busiest road in town save for Route 9.

You can't beat yourself up over this. You did what probably 75% or more of the population would not have done... you went back.
    You have a big heart, and you want to do what is best. But as others have said, you have to make sure you're not in any danger (oncoming traffic etc) before you can help the animal in need.

I commend you for going back to check on the dog. That shows so much of your nature and heart.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Keeping your own safety in mind was the smart thing to do. Someone was killed in my area not long ago because they stopped on the highway to catch a loose dog and got hit themselves. Hopefully the dog is all right.