So we've been thinking for a while about the possibility of moving to the country. One of the main reasons for wanting this is, is space for the dogs to run and play. It seems more and more of the places you used to be able to let your dog off in town are now saying no dogs allowed. There is pretty much only 2 places right now I can let them go in town and feel safe about it. One might be closing, and the other is the dog park which I'm not a fan of anyway. So to be able to just open my door and let the dogs play would be fantastic.

There is a problem, however. Coyotes have become more and more of an issue here over the years. They walked over the ice in winter from the mainland and now we have a bunch of them. They kicked the foxes out from where they were living and now they live in town. I've heard stories of coyotes eating peoples dogs, or at least killing them. So I'm actually afraid now to go into the country. I don't want to feel on edge every time I want to walk my dogs.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has a similar problem they deal with? I'd like to feel my dogs are safe. I would probably put up a large fenced in area for when they just need to go potty and I don't feel like going out with them. I'd still worry a coyote could easily jump over a fence. Also what if I'm going for a walk? I don't want to have the same problem as in town and not even be able to let them loose. Any suggestions?

Clover is 64 lbs and Zeke is around there too but I wouldn't feel safe that they could protect themselves from a coyote. Zeke is really showing his age now, and I don't think Clover could over power one. I wonder if it would be helpful to have a large breed dog as well? Maybe a GSD. I don't know much about Coyotes but I can't see that they'd go near a pack of dogs?