Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The first pictures of Ebony!!

Congratulations On Your New ADDITION

She truly is is a beauty. I think Bob and Ebony will
    be friends.
    Sandy Frost

Hurray , another furbaby to enjoy at Pettalk (pictures included) ! And a black beauty! CONGRATS! CONGRATS!

BTW How old is she?

Thanks all.
    Well, she has been here for 24 hours now and has been hearing a lot of noise she maybe is not used to. Simpson, the dog next door has been doing an awful lot of extra barking to make her feel welcome, lol, two cats were fighting right outside last evening and during the night - 5.45 this morning which is still night to me - the water pipes made an almighty racket, woke me up! No wonder she is still in hiding under the sofabed!
    She did eat a bit and use the litter tray yesterday, which I thought was good. In the shelter she was fed dry food in the morning and meat food in the evening. I planned to keep her to just dry food but this afternoon I went and got some meaty food too, in the hope that she may begin to like to see me come in with that meaty smell!
    Bob has been ok, I think he realises she is in the room but he hasn`t tried to get in there or been sniffing around the door sort of stuff, well, while I have been awake anyway.

Everybody, I am thinking about changing her name. I should think it is a bit easier to do with cats than dogs, isn`t it?
    I like Ebony well enough it is just that the dreadful song Ebony and Ivory by Paul MaCartney & Stevie Wonder keeps running through my head all the time! (apologies to those who may love it!) I was thinking of something a bit upercrust like Milady (she has got that sort of air about her, you know what I mean!), or maybe Liza or Beth (Elizabeth) or something Egyptian, Cleo or a cat god name! All suggestions welcome.

koxka, she is 3 years old.

4. I am glad to hear you are considering to change her name. Ebony seems a bit ....well...obvious. Beth is nice and goes nicely with Bob!

Congrats Chris! She is beautiful! I can hear you're on the right track with her. She'll soon be so curious that she'll come out.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Difficult to mix into linguistic problems if you hardly know the language but isn't Beth a little too common? She looks like a real beauty and not like any Tom, Dick or Harry

It is very difficult to judge names in foreign languages. In your own language, a first name tells you the age of a person, the cultural background and the area (e.g. a Florian over 50 will be from Bavaria only, under 10 he can come from everywhere in Germany) -in foreign languages you have no idea.

The only cat goddess I know is Bastet -but she's an Aby living in Australia.

I am curious with what you'll end up.

I would not consider Beth to be a common name, for a pet at least, and it sure does go well with Bob. But I personnally like 2 syllable names, something like Shimmer or Mystic.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    I had one hide so well once, I thought he escaped.....even though I knew that was impossible.
    Hee hee - the boy kitty I grew up with once disappeared into the middle of a box spring on one of our beds - the fabric was ripped on one side, so he crawled into the hole and wound himself between the coils until he was somewhere in the middle - we kept hearing this muffled meowing, but couldn't figure out where it was from! Eventually we had to rip the heck out of that box spring to get him out - it was an old junky one anyway.

Oh, is Ebony-for-now a beautiful girl!!!! (And yes, that Paul McCartney song IS annoying, LOL) As far as names, we always start out naming a kitty something, but it mutates into so many goofy nicknames, that eventually we forget what the heck the kitty's "real" name even is! I think inspiration will just strike you one day as you are gazing on her lovely little face, or observing her behavior.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Go ahead and change the name. My Sidney's shelter name was "Elmer". He just didn't seem like an Elmer to me so we gave him his new "forever" name of Sidney.

Also, there's no rush. Back in 1984, when I adopted a cat , I didn't even name her for a few weeks until I was certain that I had the right name. I named her Lucy, after the Peanut's character, because she had the same personality.

Enjoy your new kitty!!!!

10. I like Beth as it is a nickname for (Queen) Elizabeth! How about Nefurtiti (don't know if that is spelled right.) A black queen!

What a beautiful black cat !! I hope you will find a suitable name fot her . I like Ebony , but of course , it is your cat ! We also renamed out Maya when we got home with her from the shelter . They had named her "PITOE" ,; but as she didn't even react tot that name , AND because "Pitoe" is a doggie-name here , we chose for "MAYA" !!

Ebony came out from under to eat the meaty stuff! I just sat on the floor a little way away and watched her, I did think of stroking her but resisted for now. She ate what she wanted and sat a minute then strolled back under the sofa. And I didn`t have my camera with me! I will go back and sit for while later on and I`ll take it with me, bet she won`t come out and get her picture took though!

Edwinas Secretary, I really like Nefertiti and Jenluchenbach I really like Mystic too. I also thought of Lisbet which was another Queen Elizabeth nickname. Okay, so far I have Beth, Nefertiti, Mystic and Lisbet.

Chris

Chris, I was under the impression that maybe you chose her because her name was kind of similar to your RB bird Bonnie...
    Ebony... Eb Bon eeee...Bonnie!
    But I do like the name Mystic too, maybe wait for her personality to come out as she gets less shy,
    maybe she will be a Shadow or Slinky or Velvet( when she lets you pet her)
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Vermontcat, yes, maybe the RB Bonnie connection is there. I can`t actually call her Bonnie though, it somehow doesn`t fit right, that name is my little bird, I see her when I hear it or think of it. Does that make any sense?

Bit of fun tonight when I went to sit in with Ebony. I saw she`d used the litter tray so I went to scoop out, talking to her all the time, and I just glanced toward under the sofa and I couldn`t see her! Now I didn`t panic (not really, lol) cos I know she couldn`t have got out, but where was she? I looked in likely places, twice! No Ebony. then out of the corner of my eye I saw the curtains move and a little head poke out! Logical place really. She didn`t want me to pet her though so I left her there and began reading my book, after a few minutes she came out, walked to one side of the room then walked back to her hiding place. This is her on her way back, not a very good picture though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You will find the right name for her,
    I wasn't saying to call her Bonnie, that didn't seem right but I noticed it did sound similar and it does go with Bob's name ok.

I was wondering if she had a window with a view in the room, of course she would love to be up there to look out on the world especially at night I bet!

She looks nice against the red rug, black cats look nice with red, there is a pettalker who has a red room for her cats, I think it is 2kitties.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy