Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fister will try an appetite stimulant

Fister will try an appetite stimulant

I have been a little worried about Fister lately, he doesn't eat or drink very much - hardly anything. The last two times, I've bought Royal Canin's Mobility, which he seemed to like, but now he's not interested. So I bought a bag of Perfect Fit Senior, which he ate a little of and lost interest. He also gets a half of pouch a day of Whiskas with gelé. I put a spoonful of boiled water in it, since he usually licks off the juice and leaves the rest (which I feed to the birds). even the Royal Canin's Sensitive, which I gave as treats, he's not interested in.

He will eat a little bit if I hand feed him and if it's something he likes. This morning I put a bowl of the Whiskas under the cupboard where he was laying and he licked up half of it.

I called he vet also and arranged to come over and get an appetite stimulant (Percictin?), some painkillers (Romefen) in case he is in pain, and a couple of Diazepam for New Years Eve. So I got those and will give him a dose when he wakes up.

I also bought a bag of Hills K/D. That he hasn't tried before, but the vet said that most elderly cats like it, since it has more fat. I so hope he will eat some of that!

His numbers were within normal at the vet visit in March, where he had some teeth pulled, so I don't know what the reason could be for his loss of appetite.

He also meows a lot more, in fact he wakes me up several times at night. Other than that he seems fine, but has lost a bit of weight.

Have any of you given Percictin? to your cat and did it work?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have used an appetite stimulant for a cat, though I don't recall which stimulant it was. It worked for a time, but the underlying cause is what needs to be addressed.

Sorry I can't remember if Fister has some chronic issue going on.

Here's hoping that Fister will eat to keep his strength up until another vet check comes due. Could there be any pain left from the extractions, even a bit of one that didn't remove itself with the rest?

Hugs and prayers for precious Fister.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm glad to tell you that Fister gobbled up some of his new Hills K/D, he even went back for a second helping. Hope he will continue to like it. Now, I just need to check if he drinks - or I will have to fill a syringe, or sit with a glass of water under his nose. That sometimes makes him drink.

As far as I know, Fister doesn't have an underlying issue, his numbers were fine in March. I'm pretty sure he doens't have issues with his teeth or mouth, either.

So... I've put a hold on those pills.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yay, Fister!! I am so glad you ate a good meal Please keep it up! Sending you hugs, prayers and purrs, precious handsome kitty guy.

Cassie and Elyse

p.s., Cassie wants me to tell you she likes the liquid from the Whiskas pouches too! I never thought to thin it for her with warm water - I will try that.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Yay! Keep eating, Fister!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Good job Fister! Sending you chin rubs!

Cheers for Fister! You go, guy!

We are all sending along prayers and good wishes and healthy appetites.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am glad to hear that Fister did decide to eat the Hills K/D. It can be worriesome when
    they start showing changes in their normal behavior. Fister is lucky he's got you to notice
    and take action when he needs it. Gentle lovies & pets for Fister.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

10. Edwina, who is about the same age as Fister, does not need an appetite stimulant! In fact, as she has an overactive thyroid she has been food aggressive. Now that the medication has smoothed that out she is calmer about food.

Sorry I have no advice - the E's are such easy eaters.

So glad to hear that Fister has perked up and is eating. Keep on keeping on gorgeous orange boy!

I think the only thing is to try to find new delicious varieties. Most senior foods are less fat as the producers think rightly that most elderly cats are less active and need less calories but if rather weight loss is the problem you may try kitten food which usually is fatter and so tastier as well. Orion sometimes gets it as a treat as he is anyway the tiniest boy
    He sends purrings to great-uncle Fister.

Thank you, all! I decided to give him the appetite stimulant today, after all and it seems to work. I gave him 1/4 this morning and 1/4 this evening and he has eaten more than yesterday. He even came out in the kitchen just when I unwrapped my steak, so he got a few raw slices of that. He has been to the litter box three times today, so that's good. Oh, I hear that he's out there again.

He still doesn't drink, though, and that worries me. I tried to give him some water through syringe a couple of times, but he won't hear of it. It also worries me that he meows so much for me. Maybe I should try and give him a painkiller this evening to see if that makes a difference.

Please, send some good thoughts to my dear boy.

Prayers and good, warm, healing, loving thoughts and energies for Fister and you, Randi.

God bless you both.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

It's so hard to watch our pets age and slow down. I'm glad to hear that Fister is starting to eat better now and I hope he'll continue to so. Maybe you could try giving him some chicken broth since he doesn't drink much. I give this to both Alani & Blaze every night for added moisture in their diet since canned food gives them loose stools. My vet said that it was fine to give this to them long term. Did Fister have have a thyroid test done in March? My RB Storm ended up having hyperthyroidism and he also lost weight. I hope that Fister will be around for a long time to come. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.