Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Experienced Cat People, Help is needed.

My Experienced Cat People, Help is needed.

Since Amanda won't start this for herself I'll do it for her. My SIL recently adopted a 2-3 year old kitty (Gracie) as her very first cat ever. I am usually her cat person to ask questions to but I am not experienced with this problem..... Hairballs.

She needs to know the best foods/tricks to prevent them.

Thanks in advance from the shy one AKA AmandaC

P.S. Here's Gracie
    Name:  2012-11-17_17-47-39_844.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  708.1 KB
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Regular brushing is key, as the more dead hair you remove, the less kitty will ingest. Some cats are prone to them, other never get them. A good diet will also help, and there are "hairball preventative" treats and foods out there ...
    I've Been Frosted

Gracie looks to be an adorable short haired cat. Neither Edwina or Eddie has EVER had a hairball! As Karen said - brushing helps.

Hello Gracie!

Hairballs are not normal! A proper diet will prevent them. A high quality food, grain free, is best. I will give you a few, with the links; you can use the links to find a place near you to buy them.

Dry kibble:
    Earthborn Holistics: careful, only 2 of their formulas are grain free, be sure to get one of those 2
    http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../cat_formulas/

Taste of the Wild: they list the canine formulas first, and then the feline ones; just keep scrolling down
    http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/

Canned / Wet food
    Tiki Cat
    http://www.petropics.com/

Weruva
    http://www.weruva.com/

Fussie Cat: web site is down, facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/FussieCat?ref=ts&fref=ts

Canned should be fed every other day.

Hey there, thanks for all the advise. She is our first cat. Although we have 4 dogs and a sugar glider. All the dogs are on a grain free food. They'd be on a raw diet if we could afford it for all of them!

The lady we got her from gave us her remaining food supply. She'd been with us for about a week and a half before she started having hairballs. Where she'd never had any with the previous owner. Could some of this be that she's catching a lot of field mice? And eating some of them? It was about the time that she stopped bringing us her trophies, and we started noticing mouse parts around the house, that she started having hairball issues.

Gracie has tummy issues with fish based food too so she needs more turf and less surf. Amanda said she forgot to mention that.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

The field mice have much shorter hair than a cat does, I doubt that could contribute to her problem. They are also quite nutritious - nice and high in the taurine that a kitty needs and that they put into commercial foods just to make up for it!
    I've Been Frosted

The other thing to do it try adding some canned pumpkin to her diet. Think of hairballs this way ... they can only go in one end but they can come out two ends. To increase the probability they go out the back end (versus the front end), pumpkin helps "move things along" Usually most cats like canned pumpkin so just mix it in with her food.

Yes as mentioned, mice are part of the natural diet, she should have no "side effects" from those!

We find that the furminator is great for taking off fur you can almost make another Cat with the excess fur!!!
    And there are is always hairball remedy Cat Food and Treats!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I finally had to start keeping Sherpa shaved. His hairball problem was out of control, and he hates being brushed but somehow he doesn't mind being shaved. Silly cat.

I have never had a problem with them, but have seen malt in a tube that you dab on their paw or nose.

I've given mine some malt that is also peanut butter flavored.

Mine are on a grain free diet and Jane still has hairballs, but I don't brush mine. Such a bad owner, I am.

Not to be negative, as long as you are rural and the mice haven't encountered rat poison, they are good for the diet. I don't let mine eat the mice that make it in the house. Don't know if they have been poisoned.

Good luck with her hairballs.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Finally got her a small slicker brush, since I couldn't find the one I use for the dogs. We also have a furminator but its for large dogs and practically bigger than her. Also trying out some hairball gel, malt stuff. So far so good. But it's only been a couple days.

As for the mice catching she doesn't e at very many from what I can tell. If she catches one in the house, she takes it to my mom, who is disabled. If she catches them outside, once she's finished playing with them, she dumps the bodies around my jeepin the carport. Before thinking of getting a cat, we out a couple boxes of poison in our water heater closet, where we absolutely knew the dogs couldn't get to it. But we have not placed any more at least a month before actually adopting her. We love our newest addition and she definitely earns her keep being a great moue hunter!