Thread: Need advice: Anyone have experience with FIV+ and FIV- in same house?

Athens, GA USA is where I currently live.

Need advice: Anyone have experience with FIV+ and FIV- in same house?

See http://petoftheday.com/talk/album.php?albumid=383 for pictures and the story on Tab. As I write this, he's at the vet, but I'm going to have to bring him home tomorrow. Finding a home for an FIV+ cat is impossible; it's hard enough with an FIV- cat. Even shelters that may accept FIV+ cats are full. I'm going to have to bring him into my household of healthy, FIV- cats. Tab's only problem at the moment is that he needs dental surgery, and the vet can't do it till after the new year. I doubt very much my cats will fight with Tab (I'll start out with him in a cage in my house), but it'll be impossible to keep him from drinking the water I must keep out for my 5 cats, even if I'm able to feed them separately, which I'm not sure I can do. Besides, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he gets into grooming sessions with some of my present cats. All my cats are up-to-date on their vaccinations, and I've heard that helps, plus, they are all indoors-only cats as he will be. Does anyone have experience with this? I will appreciate any advice - THANKS!
    There are no ordinary cats. - Colette

My Bobby is FIV +. As long as they don't fight, all will be fine. FIV is not easily transferred. Mine share water bowls, food bowls and litter boxes no problem. You don't want them fighting; if this means taking an extra few days to get through the transition phase, do it as long term you will be glad you did.

My Bobby is such a sweetheart, a real cuddle bug not only with me, but also with the other cats and with the dogs as well.

Big relief!

Thanks, that is definitely good to know your experience with this! I see so much varying info on mixing FIV+ and negative cats, and even my vets said different things. I will put Tab in the cage to start out with, but he's pretty mellow and not so young any more, and I had him neutered before I gave him to my friend. My Siamese cat, Koji might even remember him, though it's been a few years since they knew each other. Tab is real sweetie, so I think they'll all get along fine.

FeLV is a different story; that is highly contagious and you really can not mix + and - cats in one home.

I hope we shall soon see photos of Tab among your clowder!

It's pretty safe to mingle FIV+ and FIV- cats. Unlike feline leukemia, it's really tough for a cat to pick up FIV.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Tab is home, but how long till other cats accept him?

He's snoozing on the bed near the window. He ate, then had his meds, used the litterbox. I think everything will be okay. He'll have his dental surgery January 2. I wish the transition period with my 5 would be over and they'd stop being scared of him. I can't remember how how long a transition like this takes with a full-grown cat. The last 3 I brought in were kittens at the time. Thanks everyone for your posts!!!