Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free pet food available by the ton! NY/NJ and beyond...overflow of donations for Sandy relief

Free pet food available by the ton! NY/NJ and beyond...overflow of donations for Sandy relief

I read this on the VetPet Partners veterinary forum today.
    See http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=25468 for the article itself.. AND PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!

----------->
    Free pet food available by the ton

December 21, 2012
    By: Edie Lau
    For The VIN News Service

Shop foreman Desi Medina offloads pallets of donated dog and cat food at the
    warehouse of ZipJack Custom Umbrellas in Elmsford, N.Y. The donation by a pet
    rescue organization intended for Hurricane Sandy relief was so great that most
    of the food remains in storage with nowhere to go.

If it truly could rain cats and dogs, ZipJack Custom Umbrella might not be in
    this predicament.

The umbrella factory in New York is in possession of 40 pallets of dog and cat
    food, wet and dry, donated for Hurricane Sandy relief. It has no one to eat the
    food.

Volunteers were able to distribute six of the original 46 pallets of food to
    storm victims but because the outpouring of donations from all quarters was so
    generous, demand ebbed for the remainder, according to the coordinator of a
    local relief effort, Dr. Brian Green.

Now the food -- wrapped in 3-by-3-foot blocks, each weighing some 250 pounds -- is
    occupying warehouse space belonging to ZipJack, whose owners had offered what
    they thought would be temporary storage.

It?s been nearly two months since Sandy made landfall on the New Jersey shore,
    mowing over coastal communities in that state and in neighboring New York.

Green, a veterinarian in Tarrytown, and Mike and Martha Witkowski, owners of
    ZipJack in Elmsford, jumped into volunteer efforts to collect donations -- food,
    paper goods, cleaning supplies and more -- and deliver them to storm-wrecked
    areas.

?Following that,? Green recounted, ?one of the good-hearted people that was with
    us who happens to be a breeder made contact with a Texas rescue organization
    that trucked up to us about 50 pallets of pet food. That?s just tons of food.?

He continued: ?It was very well-intentioned, but it got shipped to us before we
    had a distribution channel for it.?

That?s when the Witkowskis offered their warehouse space.

Some of the food made it into the hands of rescue organizations tending to pets
    displaced by the storm. "But because of the generosity of so many people," Green
    said, "the need has been markedly diminished in the area."

Mike Witkowski, who has become quite familiar with the specifics of the
    donation, said the food consists of Cesar and Pedigree brands for dogs and
    Whiskas brand for cats. "We have 20 pallets of Cesars and two types of Pedigree
    ? big bags and smaller bags of treats," he said. "The Whiskas, there's two
    different flavors, all soft packets."

Together, they occupy 600 square feet of space where workers normally do
    repairs. "Luckily, we were able to move over" to another space for that,
    Witkowski said.

But soon the largesse will pose a real inconvenience, as remodeling is on
    ZipJack's schedule in January. "I have to hold off until I can clear that spot
    out," Witkowski said.

Green surmises that there may yet be pet-owning storm victims who could use the
    food. And if the need isn't great among Sandy survivors, then certainly pet
    owners down on their luck for other reasons would welcome the provisions, Green
    believes.

It?s just a matter of reaching them.

To contact Green about the surplus pet food, send email to vetnvild(at)optonline.net
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks, perhaps some of our rescue folks will be able to take advantage of this! Especially some of the Pennsylvania/New Jersey folks.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It seems that the Humane Society and SPCA and rescue groups would be able to take advantage of this. And what about the normal food drives that go on this time of year for humans and pets alike. I'm sure that people on a fixed income that have pets would welcome free food to feed to their furry kids. Someone just needs to get the word out, that this is available to them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Pomtzu, I know the food bank in my church basement (which is the ecumenical food pantry for all of Watertown, MA) does not take pet food. We have many non-English speaking people who visit the food pantry, being in a big urban area, and so they worry that people might not know that it is not made for human consumption. They wish they could, but as they have "patrons" from so many different countries, Asia, to South American, Armenian, other Europeans, Russian - so not even all people who use the same character set we do! But other places do, that specialize in pets, so they direct them to those if anyone enquires!

But I'll spread the word amongst folks I know in the area!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen- that food bank is missing the mark. They could very, very easily put a animal sticker on the package. Can't stand to see " the religious" forget about the animals. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Karen- that food bank is missing the mark. They could very, very easily put a animal sticker on the package. Can't stand to see " the religious" forget about the animals. So sad.
    It is not a religious organization, it is just housed in the basement of my church. Is a town-based non-profit run by hard-woking people, mostly volunteers. They do not forget about the animals, when they know there is a pet involved, they direct them to other resources.
    I've Been Frosted

Believe me - if I had a pickup truck at my disposal, I'd drive up there and load up and bring it back here and distribute to the DE Humane Society, the local SPCA, a cat rescue in town, and anyone else that might need the food. That idea gnawed at me all night last night, and I might just find a way to somehow do it after Christmas.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Do any of you who live in that part of the country have any media contacts at all? The more this news gets out, the better.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

This thread has REALLY been bugging me...........

Why the heck wouldn't these people that are storing the pet food, notify North Shore Animal League of all this food available. Afterall - it's practically in their own back yard - about 35 miles away. For those of you not familiar with North Shore, it is the world's largest no kill rescue. I'm certain that they would more than welcome any or all of it!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Good idea. Are you near North Shore at all, Ellie? Can you call them? Their phone number is (516) 883.7575.

I just e-mailed them the information.

I also just wrote to Dr. Green, the contact person in the original article, telling him about North Shore and giving him their contact info.

Pat
    Last edited by phesina; 12-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Death thought about it.

i also just sent the article to the ASPCA in New York City and to Tabby's Place, "a cage-free sanctuary for cats rescued from hopeless situations" in Ringoes, NJ (see http://www.tabbysplace.org/).

And I wrote to Dr. Green suggesting Tabby's Place and giving him their contact info.
    Death thought about it.

No Pat - I don't know anyone at North Shore and it's about a 3 hour drive from here. I just happened to think of them, since when I was still working I used to send them a donation every year around the holidays. Thanks for going ahead with notifying them, and the others too.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Thanks, Ellie. I just wonder, is word getting out about all this?

Have any of you in the greater-NY area heard about it on the radio or seen anything on TV or read anything in the papers or come across it in any other source of information you have?

Some people on the VetPet list said they had notified local shelters and the Mayor's Alliance for Animals of NYC (http://www.animalalliancenyc.org/ ) and local vets, and someone saw something on a NJ TV channel..

So it sounds like here and there, but I wish (hope?!) the word could get out all around there so those who need the food so badly can get it. I'm nowhere near, so I can't really check on it.

I would hate for all this to go to waste, when there is SO much need for it so many places.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    This thread has REALLY been bugging me...........

Why the heck wouldn't these people that are storing the pet food, notify North Shore Animal League of all this food available. Afterall - it's practically in their own back yard - about 35 miles away. For those of you not familiar with North Shore, it is the world's largest no kill rescue. I'm certain that they would more than welcome any or all of it!
    Ellie, I got an e-mail back from North Shore today! -

=======>
    Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for the email letting us know about all this donated food. It truly is an amazing thing. Right not we have plebty of food for the Emergency Shelter we are running. I would love to send the information to the local groups we work with. I know many of them did feel affects from the storm with either destruction or getting more animals intake into their shelter. Would you be able to give the information for who they need to contact to take food and where they would be able to pick it from.

Thank you so much,

Anthony

Anthony Angioletti
    Director of Offsite Operations
    North Shore Animal League America
    516-883-7900 ext 454
    [email protected]
    =============

I wrote him back giving him Dr. Green's name and e-mail and the article link, and thanked him greatly for his offer to help get the word out.
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Ellie, I got an e-mail back from North Shore today! -

=======>
    Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for the email letting us know about all this donated food. It truly is an amazing thing. Right not we have plebty of food for the Emergency Shelter we are running. I would love to send the information to the local groups we work with. I know many of them did feel affects from the storm with either destruction or getting more animals intake into their shelter. Would you be able to give the information for who they need to contact to take food and where they would be able to pick it from.

Thank you so much,

Anthony

Anthony Angioletti
    Director of Offsite Operations
    North Shore Animal League America
    516-883-7900 ext 454
    [email protected]
    =============

I wrote him back giving him Dr. Green's name and e-mail and the article link, and thanked him greatly for his offer to help get the word out.
    That's great, Pat. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Now maybe they can get that food out there where it is much needed and appreciated.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013