Thread: Thursdays #510 - St. Nicholas Day!

Hybrid View

Thursdays #510 - St. Nicholas Day!

It's Dec. 6 - St. Nicholas Day! I'm Czech on my mom's side, Polish on my dad's side; so we note the day in my family. From what I have read it is a tradition of northern and eastern Europe. On Dec. 5 children place their shoes beside the door at bedtime. In the morning they find goodies tucked into their shoes - little gifts, fruit, and candy or cookies. (Or a lump of coal, if they've been naughty) When I was little there was an orange in my stocking every year. Most years there would be a Father Christmas cookie like this one. At the Czech bakery they're not baked in a mold, but they are wrapped with a colored picture of Father Christmas on top. They are yummy, gingery, similar to Dutch Spekulaas (sp?) cookies. In Czech he's called Pernik.

I had St. Nick on my calendar for the wrong day! Thought I was supposed to hang up my stocking tomorrow night and find it filled on Saturday. Whoops! So -- how about a piece of gingerbread with me?

Happy Saint Nicholas Day,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks for opening the bar...I think I am going to put on a pot of water to make some tea, coffee and maybe a chocolate.

---------

Gingery cookies always remind me of winter and Christmas.

DOne!

Wow - oooo - it is so quiet in here, where is everyone? Maybe out doing some Christmas shopping.

It looks like Richard has already put the lights on the tree - what a great job he did. So I will start to put the ornaments on the tree - sure hope someone shows up to help me.

Hmmm, I wonder what is available at the bar to drink.

I'll get some hot cocoa going - with or without cinnamon, as desired! And Richard's got the kettle on for tea - and Gini, I think there might be some of Slick's Bailey's around here to spike the cocoa with if you'd like?

I'll help hang ornaments, but am not allowed on any ladders, for safety's sake!
    I've Been Frosted

Sorry I was absent! I was out on the town with the girls.

I have a pot of coffee on and I'll fix a batch of cinnamon buns - y'all in?
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Cinnamon buns sounds perfect for a December morning! I'll have some! And even share a nibble with Miss Pinot, if she'd like one!
    I've Been Frosted