Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cats + Tree = ???

Since getting Paizly we've only put the tree up a few times (we've had her for four years) and once we never even decorated it! I believe it was 2010 that we didn't do a tree because Jax was a kitten.
    We put our tree up this weekend and all the cats did was eat it. When I catch them I squirt them (which I was always opposed to doing, but it works and I don't do it hardly ever) or stomp on the ground (which usually doesn't phase them). At least Paizly isn't climbing in it like she did when she was a kitten.

I told my boyfriend my goal this year was to have ZERO broken ornaments. I know he is going to be the one to break one! Not the cats! LOL

If the cats are causing a huge problem, the only thing I could suggest is to not put it up. I know that's sad, but it would make things less stressful for everyone. Maybe like others suggested, get a small one and put it up on something where the cats do not have a way of getting to it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Do you have toys out for the cats? Rub some catnip on the toys to make them more attractive.
    Oh, do we have toys... if you only saw my condo... I'm pretty sure the cats have more toys than the dog does at this point... and trust me, all are generously rubbed down with catnip. And I do rotate them so they don't get "bored".

They completely ignore the tree while we're awake/at home... the only time they mess with it is when we're gone or asleep. We even left out a super big box for them to play in at night hoping it would be more interesting than trying to break into the room with the tree... no dice.

Granted, I did come home from work today, door was open, and the tree APPEARS to be untouched...

It wouldn't be so bad if I had a real tree. This fake one has wire branches that just can not support them climbing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    If the cats are causing a huge problem, the only thing I could suggest is to not put it up. I know that's sad, but it would make things less stressful for everyone. Maybe like others suggested, get a small one and put it up on something where the cats do not have a way of getting to it.
    They can get on top of anything in this condo Nowhere is safe

facebook

Maybe next year you could put a hook in your ceiling and then hang a small tree from that. That is if you have high ceilings.

Back in 2008, I put my tree up and got the lights on it, letting Chessie and Casey into my home office where the tree is in front of the window to see how they would react. Chessie went up to it and just looked at it in awe. I think he liked the lights. Casey went right up under the tree, rubbed up against it, and got it swaying. After that, I kept the cats out of my office while the tree's up since I have a lot of breakable ornaments as well as porcelain Nativity figures. While they didn't try to come in, Chessie was always stretching his neck to have his look at all of those lights. I think of him every year when I put the tree up and the cute look of awe on his face.

So, in 2010 for Smokey's first Christmas, I had the tree up but didn't try letting him and Casey into the office. One evening, I was going out, and Smokey darted in, getting a running start as he tries to do. He got into the office and went straight for the fully decorated tree. Fortunately, I grabbed his back half as he tried to climb right up into it. Thankfully, nothing was harmed.

I call it my Clark W. Griswold Christmas Tree.

Your tree is BEAUTIFUL!! And oddly enough, we have the same tree skirt!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Your tree is BEAUTIFUL!! And oddly enough, we have the same tree skirt!
    Thanks! I've had the tree skirt since 1997 when I got the tree. I can still see Chessie's face every year when I'd go in and out of the room, and he'd stretch his head out to look in while the door was open and just look on in awe at all of those little lights. They probably reminded him of the laser pointer, which was one of his favorite toys.

Name:  9-JL-Upside-down-tree.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chatanuga View Post
    Thanks! I've had the tree skirt since 1997 when I got the tree. I can still see Chessie's face every year when I'd go in and out of the room, and he'd stretch his head out to look in while the door was open and just look on in awe at all of those little lights. They probably reminded him of the laser pointer, which was one of his favorite toys.
    Mine was a hand-me-down

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Name:  9-JL-Upside-down-tree.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  38.7 KB
    OK so someone PLEASE explain the upside-down-trees to me?!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Mine was a hand-me-down

OK so someone PLEASE explain the upside-down-trees to me?!

Australians have something to do with it?

Actually, upside down trees are popular with people with small places. Smaller "footprint" yet same square foot to decorate. I don't put up a tree because of kitties and because I decorate eight trees in three stores where I work full time. That's enough ho ho ho for me!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I really don't miss having one. It's just me and the cats now and I find Christmas still comes without one. Besides, it was sooooo depressing taking it down every year.

I'm with you. The cats don't seem to enjoy it - although when they were kittens, that was different. Just means a lot of trips up/down cellar steps for my arthritic knees - too much work for no reward. Besides, winter is my favorite season, and the holidays just cut into too much; by the time the holidays are over, so is much of winter.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

Christmas Treet + Cats = BIG TROUBLE!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

last year I had 2 small artificial trees on some end tables. They got knocked over every few days. I had no idea which cat was doing it. This year we have a very small, real tree sitting on the table (just some lights on it so far) and Toby doesn't pay any attention to it at all. I guess Havoc was the culprit, so I warned my parents that he may get into mischief if they put up a tree this year. My mom already laughs when she tells me he wants to play with the ribbons on all of the presents she's wrapped.