Thread: Methotrexate?

Hybrid View

Methotrexate?

Anyone here familiar with it? rheumatologist put me on it today along with so folic acid. Not happy about yet another medication. It is used to treat psoriatic arthritis.

Sigh
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I'm not familiar with it but found some info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methotrexate

Methotrexate
    (rINN) ( /mɛθɵˈtrɛkst/), abbreviated MTX and formerly known as amethopterin, is an antimetabolite and antifolate drug. It is used in treatment of cancer, autoimmune diseases, ectopic pregnancy, and for the induction of medical abortions.[1] It acts by inhibiting the metabolism of folic acid. Methotrexate began to replace the more toxic antifolate aminopterin starting in the 1950s. The drug was developed by Yellapragada Subbarao.

It is used as a treatment for some autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, lupus and Crohn's disease, to name a few. Although methotrexate was originally designed as a chemotherapy drug (in high doses), in low doses methotrexate is a generally safe and well tolerated drug in the treatment of certain autoimmune diseases. Because of its effectiveness, low-dose methotrexate is now first-line therapy for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.

http://www.rheumatology.org/practice...thotrexate.asp
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Way back when, some of the patients I cared for were Derm patients. We used Methotrexate for a large number of them. I don't recall that there were any serious side effects.

One benefit - this drug has been around so long that it is cheap to use.

Treatment for cancer

I took the drug when I was going through cancer treatment. The entire event is a blur to me now, but at the time, with the doses I was taking, I was not feeling so hot. I suspect the dose you are being asked to take is much less. I do not have any long term side effects from the treatment, that I know of. It has been well over 20 years - so the drug has not been taken off the market yet.... seems tried and true.

I know they use Methotrexate for lots of things today.

I've been taking it off and on for several years for RA. My rheumatologist has me on a pretty aggressive treatment program involving several different drugs (and a pretty hefty cost to my insurance company) and this is just one of the components. I currently take 20 mg of it once a week. I've never had any difficulty with it.

I'm on it and have been for about 6 months but my pcp is trying to find something to replace it because it doesn't agree with me that well and it sometimes interferes with my other meds. I don't like the way it makes me feel although it does make a big difference controling my problems ...better than staying on prednisone 365 days a yr.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thanks, folks. I working through my emotions one day at a time. And the symptoms of the side effects. Your comments do reassure me.

Now I just need to deal with my doctor who did not warn me of ALL of the side effects. He stressed the liver damage, but not hair falling out. Nor why I need monthly monitoring of certain blood levels. Or that it's needed. Of course, he also stressed the damage that could occur if the psoriatic arthritis was left untreated.

Problem is that he knows better. I was referred to him because of similar tactics by previous doctors. I'm disappointed and told his nurse that. He will also hear it from me. I didn't appreciate the scare tactics (which worked) because I know the dangers of RMDs. My mother died from LUPUS.

Thanks for listening to my vent.

Moving towards slowly but surely.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)