Thread: For any diabetics out there...

For any diabetics out there...

Moon and Bean suggested I post this to help keep our pet pawrents as healthy as possible

As a PA, one of my biggest concerns are diabetics who are not on the optimal treatment to prevent some of the preventable complications of diabetes. I always tell my patients "diabetics have the same risk of a heart attack as someone who has already had one" so the treatment should be the same as someone with known heart disease. Here is a great patient handout I use. It addresses ALL the complications (not just heart disease). If you're not doing all of the things listed on here, mention it to your healthcare provider at your next visit.

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...lications.html

Thank you for the info, moonandbeam. I printed it out for my own reading, but the nurses and the doctors here at Concordia closely monitor any change in my diabetes. Being in a personal care home has it's advantages!

Thanks Moon and Bean

I bookmarked it and will print later. I already check my condition regularly and am on heart medicines, some as a precaution.

I do have a question: Why are you spealing of yourself in the third person?
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Oh I was just being goofy and saying that my cats, Moon and Bean said that I should post it (since it's the pet forum) . LOL.

Thanks for posting this! My endocrinologist is very thorough at my check-ups and orders a complete blood work up every 3 months. When I see her, we talk about a lot of different things - how are things at work, what's going on at home and in general. Sometimes when the numbers are off, it might give your doctor a clue about what's going on.

If I can make a comment to other diabetics reading this post: find an endocrinologist that you're comfortable with and can talk with about anything; if another doctor prescribes a medication my doctor prefers to see the bottle from the pharmacist rather than writing it down for her. For those of you who work, put your doctor's phone number and your emergency contact phone number on or over your desk phone. In case of an emergency it will save precious time with getting you help. A few of my co-workers know how to use my glucometer and where it is. Be sure that one or two of your co-workers know about your diabetes so they know what to do if you run into a problem.

I'll be completing your form and will bring it to my next check up. Thank you again!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

You're welcome and thanks for the additonal advice.