Thread: A Neurotic Cat

A Neurotic Cat

A friend of mine sent me the following message. Any ideas or suggestions?

"Hi Daniel, Seems like I read one of previous posts about a cat you have that is neurotic??? My son has cat that is neuroitc and is now pulling out her fur. She only allows him to touch her but she will also attack him at any time. His vet told him that he needed to put her to sleep as she would never act like a normal cat. Her front feet are declawed. His wife hates the cat and wants him to get rid of her. She has been fixed. Do you happen to know of any place that takes in cats like this?"

YIKES! Get another vet!

Getting another wife...well.....

A foster home would be a great idea but FIRST get another vet and try Feliway. Perhaps even a compounded Prozac to be put on the ears, or a tranny that can be put in a pill pocket.

Has the cat always been like this?

I feel bad for the husband and even worse for the cat.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Some declawed kitties still have pain in their paws if the procedure was not correctly done. Definitely get the cat to a different vet - the cat is obviously very stressed about something, likely in pain (which is a common reason for 'lashing out') and may need some medical intervention for something, which it doesn't sound like that vet considered. If he is not willing to work with the cat, perhaps he should look up a cat behaviorist local to him, and see if that person has any recommendations, or is willing to take the cat. I can guarantee kitty knows his wife hates her, why does she? Is there jealousy at work? Who came first, wife or kitty? There are many, many factors likely at work here, and pretty much any cat might seem "neurotic" in that situation.
    I've Been Frosted

It's the declaw. AND the wife, of course. I'd also get a new vet. But I guarantee you it's from the declawing. So sad.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

As I noted on FB it's hard to recommend a place without knowing where these people are.

I hope the son can find Feliway or another calming med, if for no other reason than to make the cat feel better AND to have a NEW vet see if the DC surgery might have left some painful stuff behind that could be fixed. Can't change the declawing but perhaps can mitigate some of the effects.

Prayers for the son and the cat. I hope the wife calms down and cheers up.

That is ad that that Poo Cat for waht ever reason is so neurotic.
    We ae paying that they wil give her some time and a vet visit.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

We are hoping and praying that this kitty gets a new vet and some pain relief from the barbaric and totally unnecessary declaw surgery. And perhaps a new owner is in order, too.

She certainly deserves better than what she has been getting so far.

God bless you, little innocent kitty who has done nothing to deserve this. May your life change for the MUCH better very soon.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Daniel - you have a spare room, don't you?

I agree with everything said here. The cat has been and is being traumatized. Wife needs to get a compassion pill. Kitty needs help. Vet needs a new line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    The cat has been and is being traumatized. Wife needs to get a compassion pill. Kitty needs help. Vet needs a new line of work.
    I so agree!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Blog Entries

Wife must go...

Get rid of the Vet and the Wife. The cat will be fine after that. My husband has an understanding, Love my Cat and I love you even more....However, don't make me choose.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/entry.ph...ife-after-love <---click
    Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

"Normal" cats have claws. People are so stupid.

And the laws about de-clawing cats need to be changed!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.