Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, Black Friday Ponderings

Hmm, Black Friday Ponderings

All week, maybe longer, I have been getting Black Friday Deals emails - most of which are spam. I never go to any of the stores that are opening on Thanksgiving Day itself, and rarely go anywhere near the malls on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It seems as if everyone - even car dealers - are trying to capitalize on Black friday hype this year.

Do you shop at on on Black Friday, or even on Thanksgiving Day? Just curious ...
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    NO WAY!!! And if people were just a wee bit more observant, they would find most of those great Black Friday deals are available even cheaper on line in pre-Black Friday sales. My son does it every year!!! Ya just gotta take the time to look. But a lot of folks have blinders on and fall for all the hype of the day, and think they can't find a better deal. Damned if I would camp out in front of a store for sometimes a week or more like some do. Just crazy!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Several big chain stores are opening at 7 or 8 pm Thanksgiving.. get an early start on the Black Friday deals! And you have idiots who have been camping out for days now to be first in line at some of these places.

Then I got an ad in the mail today from Meijer (a midwestern Walmart-type chain) promoting their THURSDAY (i.e., Thanksgiving Day) ONLY sale .. starting at 6AM!!!!!

If this kind of nonsense actually catches on, I wonder how many years before Thanksgiving itself is diminished as a true holiday, meant for sharing time and energy and food and love with family and those we love most.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I would NEVER. Here we are, celebrating what we should truly be THANKFUL for and then people go out and practically and in SOME cases do KILL each other over material items. Pathetic. I went to the Christiana Mall in Delaware two years ago with my brother and holy c-r-a-p. We were buying a Macbook, we already knew what we wanted. But there were about 5 or 6 accidents in the parking lot ALONE. I can't believe actually camp out for this crap.

Black Friday shopping? NO WAY!

I don't think I'll ever need something so badly that I'd be willing to brave hoards of ill-mannered people (not to mention the cold weather!) pushing and shoving for that last item on the shelf that they've simply GOT TO HAVE! All the stores, either actual or online, live for this "Black Friday" to boost sales now that it's been branded in people's minds that it's THE day to get THE deal-of-a-lifetime that you won't be able to get at ANY other time . . . EVER! Inasmuch as this is an outright lie, it still amazes me when I hear seemingly intelligent, normal people talking about which stores they're going to "hit" first on Thanksgiving right after shoving that last bite of pumpkin pie down their throats. I'd much rather wait a week or two, shop at my leisure, and get that same exact item that I would have otherwise been mauled for if I had been stupid enough to try and buy it on Black Friday, for exactly (or very close to) the same price you paid! Imagine that! Listen up people, these "things" that you've just got to have because they're "such good deals" on Black Friday will still be good deals (perhaps even better) after the Thanksgiving rush is over.
    Last edited by oberz3; 11-20-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typos

I have an appointment on Black Friday so might hit a store or two while I'm out. No shopping on Thanksgiving for me. That's a day to eat, not shop.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

No way. not a chance. I'm actually done the majority of my Christmas shopping and it's all wrapped already LOL. Hannah is getting a ton of stuff and I paid next to nothing for it all. There are a FEW items I am keeping an eye out for on sale but ONLY if they are online. I will not be getting anywhere close to a store this weekend

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

A couple of years ago I went into Wal-mart on Thanksgiving night, must have been around 8:30 or 9 PM because I was on my way home from my mom and dad's. My mom had invited a friend whose son lives out of state, and she had massive amount of cologne on. I was having a histamine reaction from her fragrance and I knew I had no Benadryl in the house, so I figured I would quickly shoot in to Wal-Mart to pick it up.

What I saw floored me - sections of the store were roped off for several electronic items that would be going on sale early the next morning. Area #1 was a TV, #2 a DVD player, #3 a gaming system- you get the idea. Each area had a line of people waiting and there were rules posted with line etiquette - addressing things like eating, getting out of line to use the washroom, children waiting in line must be accompanied by someone over eighteen years old, no sleeping on the floors, clothes or blankets must be paid for before you can use them while you wait on line. The items were available for purchase at that time but at higher prices. I was stunned. So I found what I needed and scooted right out of there.

I did go to Target on Black Friday one year, just to say I had done so. I've got an appointment on Friday, so I'll be out, but I don't think I'll be shopping. Small Business Saturday is this weekend so I will try to support a couple of favorite local stores. And I will do the weekly Petsmart run on Saturday for food and cat litter.

So no, I'm not a fan of the big shopping weekend.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Nothing is open Thanksgiving Day here, not permitted - that is, RI and southeastern Mass. I wouldn't go anyhow, don't believe in it.

Black Friday, I used to go out with a list of 2 or 3 things. Last few years there's nothing I need to get. I don't exchange gifts with anyone, and if I need something I get it when I need it, after searching for reviews and pricing etc. Besides, you can usually do so much better online. I do sometimes wander out after lunch, just to see the nuts! Go in a busy store and stand around looking at the people, not the merchandise. AMAZING what you see. I assume these folks are sane most of the time, I mean, they are out and about alone, right? They seem to have lost any sense of decorum, manners, etiquette, sanity!

Karen, you must be a many lists, I haven't had one Black Friday / spam message all week!

You know what I'd do on Black Friday if I got the chance, though? Take a drive out to Montgomery to shop at Blain's Farm and Fleet. Montgomery is in the waaaay-western suburbs of Illinois right about where the 'burbs end and the country begins. The Farm and Fleet is a Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois business and I've been there one time. I'd like to go again and look at all the farm stuff. I could handle that.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Noooo, I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving or for several days after Tgiving. I would rather go when there are not as many people shopping even if I have to pay more for an item. I usually watch the local news where they show the parking lots and people and am so glad I'm not one of the people looking for a parking space.

Under no circumstances whatsoever. Thanksgiving should not be a day for recreational shopping, and the day after should be a day of leisure to enjoy friends and family. I regard Black Friday as a way for the business community to make fools of the rest of us. Midnight or 2:00 am or 5:00 am are not civilized hours for conducting business. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Karen, you must be a many lists, I haven't had one Black Friday / spam message all week!
    Remember, we have been running PetoftheDay.com since 1997, so my email addresses associated with the websites a have been in existence that long - so if there's a spam list or database out there, I'm sure to be on it. And mind you, these are only the spam I see, not the thousands that automatically go into my spam folder!
    I've Been Frosted

14. There is nothing that could tempt me. Last Sunday we went to Best Buy (great deal on a DVD player for my mother!) Next door is a sporting goods store. I commented that someone appeared to be testing a camping tent on the sidewalk. My husband corrected me...first in line for Black Friday.

Beyond disgusting!

I'll be the only one I guess who says that I look forward to "Midnight Madness" at the outlet mall nearby. After dinner my mom, my sister, and a few other relatives watch a movie together and then drive about an hour to this outlet mall...the stores all have coffee and snacks out, there are shuttles to get you to and from the parking area, and everyone seems to have a blast! It's busy, but I've never come across any nastiness there. I don't even know/care if I get any particular bargains, I just look forward to the party atmosphere and extra time with my mom.

Once we're wiped out, we all go out to breakfast and then crash.

This year I'm completely out of money because of Sherpa being hospitalized, but I'll probably still tag along for the fun of it.