Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What A NightMare!!! Test Results Are In!!! Update 12-31-12

A nightmare indeed. Sending prayers and positive thoughts that a lasting solution is found very soon.

Carriers

It is so difficult to know which kitty is the source and I guess it doesn't really matter if you intend to keep them all together. It can be risky introducing new cats to existing ones and one only hopes that there is not a carrier of something. But, hey, things happen, and often there is something new brought into the house. Breeders and shelters always have problems with things like this. Maybe you could contact a shelter to see how they deal with it and if they ever found a way to clear it up with existing cats other than adopting them out...... just a thought.

I would like to believe that once they all have mature immune systems, the carrier will be able to keep it under control and not create break outs again.

This can be sooooo frustrating, for sure! I don't envy you at all.

Sas and her campers

Thanks again everyone. The waiting continues. I called my veterinary hospital a little after 4pm and I asked to speak to my vet. She had already gone home for the day and the receptionist told me that Blaze's test results hadn't come back yet. My vet works again tomorrow so hopefully I'll hear from her. If not I may have to wait a while.

I had already tried e-mailing my kittens foster mom about the eye problems quite a while ago but she never replys to my e-mails any more. They had several kittens that had eye infections and sneezing and they would take them out of the adoption room and give them medicine until they were better. These kittens didn't come from a shelter but a rescue group and the adoption room is in a Petco. Radar & Rory are the kittens that brought the eye infection into my home.

Reece was at a Petsmart and all of the kittens there were healthy and so was he for a while. I feel like I'm being punished for adding more cats to my home. I knew that bringing in kittens could be risky because they do have weaker immune systems. This is why I kept them in my hall bathroom for quite a while until they finished their medication. Unfortunately the eye infections never cleared up so it spread to the others. Right now Rory, Reece, Sky, Pearl, & Ziggy all seem to be okay but Reece's eyes & nose will still have crusties.

Test Results

My vet called me this morning and my cats still have Chlamydia. Blaze is also carrying another virus, forgot the name, which can cause URI's but it's dormant right now. My vet said that many animals carry this virus and there really isn't anything she could do for it any way. So now she prescribed oral antibiotics for all cats for at least 1 month. I think it's called Doxycline. She's also looking into the possibilty of having my cats vaccinated for Chlamydia but it may cause more harm than good since it has some bad side effects. I sure hope that this medicine will finally kill the Chlamydia. I had to weigh some of my cats and Radar will be 8 months old soon and he weighs 12lbs. Reece & Rory weigh about 9lbs and they'll be 8 months old in early Dec. Please send us some positive vibes. Thanks.

Prayers that the meds work. Think long and hard about that vaccine, do some online research.

Prayers and good wishes and warm healing energies are being sent for you all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Prayers that the doxycycline will clear the Chlamydia once and for all. (((HUGS)))

I didn't know anything about feline chlamydia infections so here is an article.
    http://www.fabcats.org/owners/chlamydophila/info.html
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks again everyone. All of my cats eyes look so much better now and the sneezing has also stopped. They still need to be on the oral antibiotics for about 3 more weeks. I look forward to the day when I don't have to medicate any of my cats any more.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Thanks again everyone. All of my cats eyes look so much better now and the sneezing has also stopped. They still need to be on the oral antibiotics for about 3 more weeks. I look forward to the day when I don't have to medicate any of my cats any more.
    Amen to that!

I'm sure you know, so this is just to cheer you on, not to advise you: keep up the meds for the 3 weeks and get this thing out for good! I know it is a pain, but this is the way to go now, to get the household back to normal.

Wonderful progress report! What good news!

Best wishes with the three more weeks of medication, and here's hoping that's the end of this all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am just seeing this and wanted to send happy healing thoughts for everyone. Hugs to you and all of your kitties.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I'm sorry Tracey that I missed this. I hope this will be the end to your nightmare and all kittys will be well.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thanks again everyone. Things are going well so I can only hope that this time the medicine will work and the Chlamydia will finally be gone.

Thinking of you today, KAK and kitties, and hoping everyone's eyes are getting much better with the current round of treatment.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 12-13-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fix a spelling mistake
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Tracey, that is a nightmare, but I hope the Doxycycline will clear the Chlamydia and it will be gone for good. I bet you need a checklist with so many orangies.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and big hugs.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.