Thread: Credit card advice

Credit card advice

Not to air my dirty laundry, but I need some advice. thoughts, etc. I hope that you will be kind because chastising me doesn't change the situation. i can kick myself far harder.

I have put away the credit cards and am enjoying life without them. However, I still have that debt. I am only working part-time and my outgoing is still more than my incoming and that is the necessities. I have some small savings that I am using to bridge the difference. I am looking for other part time work such as tutoring that won't damage the health progress that I have made.

One company has been just rude. It's Sears Citi. harassing phone calls. Calling me up and hanging up on me. Or I call them and they hang up. I don't really owe them a lot, comparatively speaking.

ATT also is Citi but appeared to try to work with me. I owe them a ton and they want more than the 25 per month I might spare.

Cap one has a protection plan and I will see if that works. I don't owe them much.

Bank of America I owe them a ton, too, and had a good rate. I started this last year in an attempt to pay things off. Liquidated savings to pay some stuff off.

This last year was so stressful as y'all know. So not only did a lot of doctor's and hospital bills go on credit so did a lot of retail therapy. i was stressed beyond belief and didn't care. and I really thought I would have a job by the time school started. i found out later that schools were hiring new teachers from out of state. Didn't even post on their own websites. you can almost pay two teachers on my salary. SIGH. And just 4 years until I can retire. full or pat time doesn't matter. At least I do't think it does. It will affect my ability to get insurance cheaply.

I might ask my doctor about some sort of disability statement. It has taken me awhile to feel better. Still progress to be made.

So my question is "what are the credit card companies likely to do?" I know they can sue, but will they? I know the credit rating will suck for several years. But can they garnish wages if that put me out of my home? What about bankruptcy?

I know any advice given is to be taken with consideration. I think I am looking for your stories (only if you feel like it) and re-assurances.

Thanks for reading. I hope you will respond even if only to wish me luck.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Find a debt counseling service and speak with them. Look for one which is a NOT FOR PROFIT. You will get a great deal of info and they may also be able to help you consolidate everything. I highly recommend you research this!

Had a coworker go through bankruptcy and it didn't seem to hurt him at all, got rid of all his credit card debt. As long as you don't need to buy a car for a few years on credit that may be the way to go. I second the counseling advice. Hugs and no judging at all.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I have never faced this so my advice is purely as an outsider, but I would think the credit counseling is a must. They are expert and know how to get you back on your feet. I think part of the program also has to be counseling you to not repeat the behaviour. I agree it has to be one that is not for profit and should be researched carefully.

Best of luck to you - I hope this works out.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

started last night with a not-for profit. Or nonprofit. is there a difference. Credability.com I got a referral to the fccc? gov website

I really just need people to get off my back until I can get a full time job. Then I can afford my own restructuring.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Best wishes with it all, Anne! Credit counseling sounds like a great idea. I hope this all works out for you not too painfully.

God bless,

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I've always wanted to try out the credit counseling or debt consolidation, but I always have the problem that my debt ratio is too high (or whatever that's called).
    I've been paying the higher amount on my credit cards (although, not right now through the holiday season). On the statement it shows you how long it would take if you pay only the minimum payment and then if you pay Xamount a month it will only take 3 years to get it paid off. That's my goal!! It might take me 5 years, but I'm working on it. It also doesn't help that I sometimes use one of the cards for emergency purposes.

I wish you all the luck! I hope you can get this figured out AND find a full time job too!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)