Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Life without Twinkies?

Golly- what some of you eat! If I am going to go crazy- it has to be decent quality crap that I am eating. LOL. I haven't had any of those products since my high school years. They just aren't that tasty.

As to the closing of the plants- it is sad. But, businesses have the right to make money. Even lots of money. There are so many people out there that haven't had a raise in years (I don't think I had had a raise in 7 years...), and were required to pay more for their 'entitlements' each year, all the while coverages were less. Unions were great- a long time ago. They have outlived their usefulness, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Little Debbies, for those with taste
    Come off as thick as school paste.
    She doesn't come off with the mostest
    Like the our pal, the old Hostess.
    But when it comes to really sweet
    Little Debbie can't be beat..
    Well you can, if you choose!
    Would that be 'snack abuse'?
    But if Hostess goes, How I will long
    to keep a hold of my Ding-dong?
    ROFL! Richard your poetry sure beats the crap out of what we had to read & figure out in school.

It is to the point & makes sense.

You should be working for Hostess in their advertising department.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Rumour has it that a Mexican company is looking at buying Hostess, or parts of it.

Twinkie Tamale?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Golly- what some of you eat! If I am going to go crazy- it has to be decent quality crap that I am eating. LOL. I haven't had any of those products since my high school years. They just aren't that tasty.

As to the closing of the plants- it is sad. But, businesses have the right to make money. Even lots of money. There are so many people out there that haven't had a raise in years (I don't think I had had a raise in 7 years...), and were required to pay more for their 'entitlements' each year, all the while coverages were less. Unions were great- a long time ago. They have outlived their usefulness, IMO.

I think it might be time for you to take a business ethics course......

Yes, they have a right to make money. However, the employees also have rights, and along with rights go responsibilities.

The Westboro Baptists are operating within their rights......doesn't change the fact that their actions are completely reprehensible.

In addition, I'd hardly call a negotiated benefits package an entitlement. Nice attempt to compare a hard earned benefit with welfare. I'd get into why Unions are still needed in the workplace in detail, but I'll simply leave it at this:

I don't write or deal with petty grievances. Nor do most of the stewards I deal with. Yet we somehow still manage to deal with very real issues on a routine basis. Safety, workplace climate issues, and others, as well as run of the mill contractual issues.

They are very much needed, and I think American businesses are going to be in for a rude awakening over the next few years, starting with Wal Mart Thursday night.

Even Henry Ford realized that he had to compensate his workers well and treat them fairly.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post

In addition to the $1 mil+++ the CEO is getting...

Hostess Brands is looking to give their managers a bonus of up to 75 percent of their annual pay so they will stay on and help close down the company, but the U.S. Trustee, an agent of the U.S. Department of Justice, said the plan for bonuses was improper.
    Cat - as for unions outliving their usefulness...I hear that thrown around all the time. I have spent a good part of my career helping companies avoid unions. Doing things the right way so people don't want or need a union. But I will tell you - some companies deserve unions. Companies get unions because they do not treat their employees equitably. They play favorites. It is not money that drives people to unions (sure the union promises them more money) it is - I avoid the word "fair" but it is about management and how people are treated. I have been in a number of campaings to keep unions out and every time it is the same thing.

Just recently I had situations with two clients. Both involved employees at different levels. In both situations one employee was a friend of the boss. The other employee in both situations was a low level "worker bee." Same behavior - different consequences. The "boss friends" got a pass on behavior that got the worker bees fired. I had to push very hard on both clients for there to be ANY consequences for the boss friends.

There is still a need for a level playing field. Of course companies should make lots and lots of profits. That is not the issue. It is possible to do both - make lots of money AND treat your employees right.

how many ding dong wrappers would it take to make a suitable foil hat?

I am sure some companies deserve unions. But what a commentary that phrase is. Companies "deserve" unions. Because unions punish the hello out of companies. Some employees deserve to sit in the umeployment line, too. And, but for the safety net their union provides them, they would be like many of us- toiling, striving to do more with less, and not whining because "boss man" asked them to do something outside their typical job description. Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I read about this on Facebook, what the H*** are Twinkies?? lol

Must be something incredibly delicious when everyone's so upset about this!

Ha ha-- I guess I'm with you on this one Kirsten-- I've never eaten any of those things either...don't think we even had them around here. I think we had Hostess potato chips, something I haven't eaten in yrs.
    I sure wouldn't be writing cheques for those crazy amounts that people are asking... unless they were made of gold
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I am sure some companies deserve unions. But what a commentary that phrase is. Companies "deserve" unions. Because unions punish the hello out of companies. Some employees deserve to sit in the umeployment line, too. And, but for the safety net their union provides them, they would be like many of us- toiling, striving to do more with less, and not whining because "boss man" asked them to do something outside their typical job description. Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.
    Want some tea with that party line?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.
    I see it from both sides. Yes, there are some employees who just deserved to work elsewhere. Need to go away. But I believe very few people wake up in the morning and think..."i can't wait to go to work and do a lousy job!" Nor do I think most people go home and the end of the day thinking "I can't wait to get home and tell my family what a horrible job I did today!" And I think most employers want to do the right thing by their employees.

Just this week I had an employee call me. Gave me a long list of safety violations at his location. Has told the boss. Fears losing his job but also fears losing his life or the life of someone else because of the safety. This manager has had many complaints against him by employees. The big boss goes and give him the talk about "leadership." And thinks that fixes everything. When so many employees complain about a boss...well, there just comes a point. I have protected one of his employees he wants to fire because she takes too much time off to take care of her child with downs syndrome. Then I check her time records and it is maybe ten hours a month. I have no doubt this guy needs more than the "leadership" talk. But when I call his boss (and old friend) about the latest allegations I get a rant about "what are these people trying to do to him" etc. etc.

And the guy who called me is in a union.

I am not a fan of unions. I agree they make it harder to do business. They get in the way and protect some who should not be protected. But I also know why they exist.

Here are recipes for homemade Twinkies: http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shin...185448195.html

According to the article, Canada still has Twinkies as we have a different manufacturer/distributor - Saputo.

What am I bid?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Yep saw them in the shop yesterday here .
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Congratulations to the execs at Hostess.

They get to reap the monetary rewards from the liquidation of the company that they purposefully made non-viable, (spending no money on advertising or product development for a decade) and get bonuses while they finish their job.

Of course, it's all proper, after all, they're just getting their slice of the pie....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Congratulations to the execs at Hostess.

They get to reap the monetary rewards from the liquidation of the company that they purposefully made non-viable, (spending no money on advertising or product development for a decade) and get bonuses while they finish their job.

Of course, it's all proper, after all, they're just getting their slice of the pie....
    A Hostess pie, no doubt!!! A lot of now unemployed former Hostess workers would probably like to tell these execs, just where to shove those Twinkies, too!

oops - sorry!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

maybe i am wrong.....

.....but isnt krogers in the bidding to buy them out?

Thanks to PCB!