Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennis Balls - Dangerous?

Tennis Balls - Dangerous?

So, I was looking into getting a couple tennis balls for Ryder, and I found out that they are actually dangerous for dogs? How did I not know this? I am wondering if I should still give him one, maybe a Kong brand, it'd cost more but would it be a better choice? Or do you have a better suggestion on what kind of ball to get him? He will be 8 weeks old when we bring him home, and I want to keep him acquainted with chew toys in the beginning and yet still (maybe I don't have to teach) play a game fetch, at least learn how to. Any help would be appreciated. As of right now, he has a Fetch & Glow ball and a pack of 3 tennis balls, but I'm starting to think I don't want to give him these. I know I sound paranoid but he is going to be my FIRST fur kid.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I didn't know that either. Clover had several tennis balls. They usually end up rolling behind the furniture though so when I do my cleaning and pull the chairs out I find 4-5 balls behind them She mostly just likes people to throw them for her.

How are the dangerous though? Like if they eat them? Curious about this now...

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

They're not dangerous. I would just never leave him unsupervised with one. He may like a jolly ball too!
    http://jollypets.com/
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

They are dangerous because tennis balls do present a hazard that requires they be used only in supervised conditions. They can wear down dogs teeth if chewed very frequently. SO I guess as long we are around our dogs with these, they should be fine. Hmmmm. I mean if you look up about it online, there's a lot of articles about why they're "dangerous" for dogs - it's mostly a choking hazard, though!
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    They're not dangerous. I would just never leave him unsupervised with one. He may like a jolly ball too!
    http://jollypets.com/
    I've been looking into that! Ha I feel picky on which one to get Ryder. There's all different types, but I'm more on about what the right size of Jolly Ball to get him. He'll be at least 80 lbs when he's full grown. So should I stick with a smaller one for now since he's a puppy? I think maybe 6 inch ball would be good?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I can understand tennis balls being dangerous. Even my Myndi who is a little 10lb Pom, used to chew right thru them, and they were regular size ones too - not the smaller ones. I finally had to take them from her, and any toy that had a tennis ball as part of it.

Didn't one of Oprah's dogs choke to death on a tennis ball? I vaguely remember something about that a few years ago.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I can understand tennis balls being dangerous. Even my Myndi who is a little 10lb Pom, used to chew right thru them, and they were regular size ones too - not the smaller ones. I finally had to take them from her, and any toy that had a tennis ball as part of it.

Didn't one of Oprah's dogs choke to death on a tennis ball? I vaguely remember something about that a few years ago.
    Yes, her dog did choke to death from one.

When I was a teenager, we had a bird dog named Bowser who swallowed one. Lucky for him, my dad was there. He saw it in his throat and was able to scoot the ball up his windpipe and Bowser finally spit it out.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I've also heard they are dangerous for dogs. The real tennis balls are made with a certain kind of material that is dangerous. However, we have tennis courts right over our backyard fence so sometimes we (or the dogs) will find a tennis ball outside. Luckily they do not chew them to pieces, so I'm not worried about it.
    They do sell "tennis balls" that are specifically designed for dogs to chew on. Is that what you got for Ryder?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

If you have a dog that's a chewer, or one that likes to run with a ball in his mouth, I don't think it matters if it's a "real" tennis ball, or one made specifically for dogs. They can still choke on the whole ball, or pieces that get chewed off. I'd rather find a different type of ball - better to be safe than sorry.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Oh Oh ... Grandpuppies have these! Zoey and Sunshine pretty much just chase and fetch them though. I have not seem them actually chew them.

I think you have to wait until he is out of the teething stage to worry about tennis balls at all. For now, random sticks in the yard will be as exciting to lear to fetch as any ball!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If you have a dog that's a chewer, or one that likes to run with a ball in his mouth, I don't think it matters if it's a "real" tennis ball, or one made specifically for dogs. They can still choke on the whole ball, or pieces that get chewed off. I'd rather find a different type of ball - better to be safe than sorry.
    See, I didn't hear of them being dangerous for the choking hazard, but for the material it's made out of. Lots of toys could be choking hazards if you think about it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I did buy Ryder three tennis balls, but I'm not sure about that anymore because it was only a $1 from the Dollar Store. Maybe I should ditch them? I ended up buying him a 6 inch blue Jolly Ball with a handle - so I think he might like that - just have to supervise, so he doesn't chew off the handle or anything like that!

Since any toy really, can be a choking hazard, it's best that they are supervised with any toy that they can chew pieces off of, or put the whole thing in their mouth. I wouldn't worry too much about those dollar store tennis balls when he is little - just watch what he does with them and take them away if he chews them, and don't let him play with them on his own. He should be fine with them otherwise.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013