Thread: Kyra, 2004-2012

Kyra, 2004-2012

Kyra died on Saturday, November 3rd.

Born on July 11, 2004, Kyra was the last puppy of six, and very obviously the runt. Weighing in at 3 oz, while the others we're pushing one pound, we didn't know how long she'd make it.

Shortly after her birth we realized she had a cleft palate; a hole in the hard and soft palates that didn't allow her the ability to suck or nurse. The vet told us to put her to sleep, that even if she did survive puppyhood he had never known one to live past six. We decided to do what we could and began bottle feeding her every couple of hours.

She learned to sneeze on command to clear her nose and she learned to drink water and tip her head backwards. She was the funniest, liveliest little dog. She loved her family and didn't have much use for anyone else, unless you were throwing her ball or frisbee.

She lived to play. Her favorite toy was a too-big-for-her basketball. She would push it around the yard until it got stuck against the deck or flower bed and she'd start licking it. She licked the leather off of a few really old basketballs. But she could have just a much fun with tennis balls, golf balls or plastic frisbees. At one point she had a fabric frisbee that she'd trip on when she ran because she was so small. The plastic ones she learned to flip up to carry where it would cover her eyes instead of tripping over it. She also enjoyed the golf cart. She could be found sitting on it anticipating a ride or just enjoying her special blanket in a basket napping spot.

She made the house exciting and she could make anyone laugh.

She had been extraordinarily healthy her enter life, except for a few freak accidents, and went downhill quickly this week. She was at the vet on and off all week getting blood tests, IVs & x-rays and they couldn't pin point the exact cause of her lethargy and weakness. They thought an auto-inmune disease. Eventually we made the decision to help her to the bridge, an on our way to the vet to see her & say goodbye, she died on her own.

The littlest wonder who wasn't supposed to live or to live past 6 had eight very happy, enjoyable years.

I was able to take her to the crematory and bring her ashes back to my mom the same day which meant a lot to both of us. As much as I loved Kyra, she was my mom's life and baby. She will definitely be missed by a lot I people.

I'd like to post some pictures later wen I get to a computer.

My parent's house feels so empty now. I am so grateful I could be home this weekend with Kyra & my mom, but it still doesn't seem real :-(

For those of you on Facebook, thank you for your condolences and messages. I really do appreciate it an they helped me more than you know.

We love the ones who defy the odds very much! We know she will be very much missed, but what an inspiration she was, and will continue to be!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, I never knew Kyra's story. I am sitting here in tears. She definitely sounds like an amazing pup.

Play hard at the bridge Kyra.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm very sorry for your loss of Kyra. She had a wonderful life.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I did not know all her early history, what a story. Kyra was special in so many ways; but mostly, she was YOUR special girl. I know how you will miss her, and my sincerest sympathy at this difficult time.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What an amazing story of love and determination. It never ceases to amaze me what animals can do and/or survive - so much more than we sometimes give them credit for.

RIP Kyra - you have earned it! And peace to all who loved you................
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It is truly an amazing story; both for Kyra and her family.

I am so sorry for your loss - play well at the Bridge, dear Kyra. You flew there with much love on your wings.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

How awesome, and sad, at the same time. She brought much joy and love to you, and no doubt, you gave it back in return. RIP, Sweet Kyra.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for telling us more about her and I'm glad that she had 8 wonderful and happy years with you and your family. RIP sweet Kyra. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    How awesome, and sad, at the same time. She brought much joy and love to you, and no doubt, you gave it back in return. RIP, Sweet Kyra.
    As always, Johanna worded it beautifully. I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. Kyra, you were amazing, sweety, as is your family. Rest in peace, dear little one.

She was a spunky little gal. I'm glad to have met her. RIP Kyra. May you boss everyone around at the Rainbow Bridge.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am so very sorry I'm just now seeing this. I know how much it hurts. You lose a part of yourself when they die. *hugs*

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06