Thread: Pregnancy fatal? Need advice!

Pregnancy fatal? Need advice!

Hey everyone, I need a little advice:

There are two very adorable dogs that live with me – Lola, a one-year-old AmStaff Terrier about 50 lbs. The second is Bach, a one-year-old St. Bernard weighing about 125 lbs.

The problem: Lola is going into heat and I imagine they will try to make puppies.

Neither dog is fixed, and although it would be cool if it were my decision, I don’t have the final say for either of them.

The question: Is Lola likely to die from giant puppy fetuses? Is it possible for her to get pregnant with puppies so big they would kill her?

I don’t know of this is an irrational fear and nature will take it’s course, or if this is a legitimate fear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LolaFall2012.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	55355 The girl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BachFall2012.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	55356 The boy

I’ve heard a few sides – If the male dog is too big the female will naturally deny him. The larger the puppies will be, the less of them the female will have. But are these really true?

I guess I am just scared she will get hurt.

What do you guys think? Please list your sources – especially if it is something like 30+ years experience with breeding dogs lol
    Last edited by BridgeLL; 11-08-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Adding pictures!

Keep them separated all during her heat. It may be inconvenient, but it is the only safe thing to do. The world does not need more unplanned puppies, and it would be better for her health in the long run to get her spayed. Barring that - you said it is not your decision - get "diapers" for her, and keep them separated for the entire duration of the heat.
    I've Been Frosted

What Karen said!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yes dogs can die from getting pregnant from a dog much larger and the puppies being too big. This is a legitimate fear. Please keep them separated and if possible get them spayed/neutered asap. Many places offer free or discount spay/neuter, especially for pit bulls. The spay/neuter clinic near me will spay/neuter pit bulls for free. Also to be able to deliver the puppies at all she would very likely need a c-section they won't fit through the birth canal, this is an expensive procedure but if she is pregnant and can't deliver the puppies it's either that or she will die.