Thread: Pet Health Insurance?

Pet Health Insurance?

Anyone here have pet health insurance? I had never really thought much about it until my brother brought it up. He just took Max to the vet yesterday because Max was not eating. The vet's office gave him a pamphlet on pet health insurance. It is only around $10 a month.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this.

I have never had it, but I do think it varies who the carrier is, and what it covers would matter whether it would be worth it.
    I've Been Frosted

I did not insured my pets yet but heard about its benefits, it's totally depend upon What types of pet insurance plans are carried out.

You really have to investigate before signing up.

Some increase the premium with the pet's age. Some increase the premium if you use it, especially for something which is chronic.

Friend of mine had it for her 2 bichons. One bichon is prone to bladder stones and has now had surgery 4 times for them! The insurance paid their portion of the first bill; and her premium went up 50%. They paid their portion of the 2d surgery and again the premium went up. Friend cancelled the insurance.

Those of us with many pets just sock away funds all the time so we have it available when the need arises.

Like anything else, check reviews online, check Consumer Reports.

I'm not too sure on the costs of pet health insurance, but I know of a great discount program called Pet Assure, that can be used any time. Also, if you have pet insurance, you can also use Pet Assure for additional savings. Unlike pet insurance, you will get the savings right at the time of service without filling out any claim form. Good Luck!!

Definitely read into it first. Most, if not all, are reimbursement programs. Meaning you have to front the bill initially, and then you submit paperwork, and then IF the claim is approved, you are reimbursed. Sometimes it is only a percentage of the bill, sometimes it may be for the whole bill.

There are many different types out there now... some are for annual wellness for vaccines etc, those are usually the cheaper plans you find. Then you have the emergency plans... and some will be a combination of the two.

If you happen to get insurance for a puppy with no pre-existing conditions who happens to get really sick and/or have a costly congenital disease or problem, it can be worth it over the pet's lifetime. Otherwise you are taking a big chance for a big "what if". You're better off taking that $10/month and putting it away into a savings account to use for vet bills when they come up.

Just my two cents from what I've seen in the industry!! Hardly any of our clients have pet insurance really... if anything they use Care Credit.

facebook

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to share this. I almost scared Spicy to death. She was outside sunbathing and cleaning her furcoat, I know she is deaf and WAY out there. So I do not sneak up on her BUT.. I wanted to sit down so I thought if I just touched one of her hairs very gently with my big toe she would know that I was there. Big mistake She almost had a heart attack. I am not the brightest bulb on the tree maybe but I tend to forget when she was feral and picked us she had earmites so bad. I think a wee bit o brain damage occurred. I'm no spring chicken meself so I might have a wee bit o that as well Poor baby, she's just dined and is now bellering at the top of her lungs. Nap time fer me

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, 4 raccoons last night so we cannot let her out after the sun sets

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Anyone here have pet health insurance? I had never really thought much about it until my brother brought it up. He just took Max to the vet yesterday because Max was not eating. The vet's office gave him a pamphlet on pet health insurance. It is only around $10 a month.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this.
    I had a first interview with a big company, and one of the fringe benefits they offer is pet health insurance But I don't know how much it costs. If I get the second interview, I'll try to find out. I would definitely consider taking it for Cassie if I get the position.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Premiums for a cat of her age will be prohibitive, Elyse.

I've never bothered with it for any of my animals. I just have a special account and deposit $$ every month. So far I've always had more than enough to cover any vet bill. If you're lucky enough not to use it for a while it really builds up. I keep it and still make deposits even if I'm between animals. I compared doing this to taking insurance and this was by far the best solution...the deductions the insurance had just didn't impress me.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

We always get insurance for our pets. We even had insurance for our hamsters and gerbils when we had those. But then again, I live in Sweden, so insurance is quite cheap, and it's a good thing to have. Not sure how it works where you are though... Guessing it could be a whole lot more expensive than just 500 kr a year. (500 kr is about... 76$ a year, and then you have an insurance that pays for 80% of the vet costs or something like that, up to 10,000 kr a year, which is about... 1526$. So here, pet insurance is a huge win. Can get extremely expensive if your pet needs to visit a vet after all.)